Project Tele

I decided to do an "In Progress" thread for this thing.

Here's the goal:

000.jpg

I'm starting with one of BigD's castoff bodies, a Mighty Mite neck, and a boatload of ebay parts. I've got the bridge and string ferrules, and GFS pups and MM tuners are on the way.

Progress pics:

Parts

Test fit

Masked

I have these on a webpage that I'll be updating as I go.

Wish me luck ... :D

not bad.. so lemme get it strait... so you just bought a kit like assortment and are now putting it together with a paintjob?

if so, kan you kinda explain what your doing, b/c tonite im goin to lowes to pick up some of those dyes mentioned in the tutorials(still dont understand). So ill kinda follow along with you.

~Korge :D <--- (I love this emote)

I don't have the tools yet to do a scratchbuild. Derek (bigdguitars) was building a bunch of teles and had one he didn't want, so I bought it from him.

The rest of the parts I'm getting mostly from ebay sellers I've dealt with before.

I got the water/alcohol soluble aniline dyes from the local Woodcraft store. The final finish will be Deft rattlecan lacquer.

A lot of this is a first time for me, so we'll see what happens. :D

About halfway through the sandback.

005.jpg

Plenty of sanding left. :D

Ok, after sanding back to 320 I put on a coat of Honey Amber TransTint. Actually it was more like 3 or 4 coats because I started off way too light. Anyway, I took this pic just a few minutes ago while it was still wet.

006.jpg

It's already started to lighten up a bit, so we're keeping our fingers crossed.

This thing is coming right along. I put on another coat of amber dye, then when it was good and dry I pulled the tape off the binding. I was really expecting the worst, but there were only a few spots where the brown and amber had seeped through.

I scraped and sanded the binding to start to round over the edge and show the lighter color outline, then I masked it again and dyed the sides and back with the same mix as the dark color on the top.

007.jpg

There's still plenty of sanding left to do before I can even think about doing the clear, but I'm pretty jazzed about the results so far.