Gibson Kalamazoo

Kalamazoo was Gibson's economy line made from about 1965 to 1969. The SG-shaped model you have was called the KG1. The other body style that looks sort of like a Fender Mustang was called the KG2. The bodies are compressed chipboard, not basswood. The stock pickups were the same single coils as on the Gibson Melody Maker guitars.

Gibson never offered replacement necks for sale separately, aside from watching eBay I don't know where you'd find one. There's a site called Everything SG with a forum, they don't have a For Sale section anymore but you could at least ask, you never know what someone might have laying around. Good luck.

Dan, If you have the old neck why don't you take a deep breath, read through some of the posts and tutorials and try making your own.

The folks on this site are incredibly helpful and will help you find your way through.

I was playing pretty actively when that guitar was new and I can honestly say that I don't recall ever seeing one anywhere. This means that they're probably rare enough tht you're gonna have a devil of a time finding a neck with no guitar attached to it.

Just a thought.

I also thought that if I could get another either KG1 or KG2 i could use the neck and sell the body. I bought the KG1 originally for parts for the KG2 because the KG1 was disassembled and the body was rough at best. Then I decided to sand the body and make it a shannon hoon (from blind melon) tribute guitar. My aunt is painting it and it is turning out amazingly. I am really anxious to get it put together.