Fingerboard Radius

I'm starting on my first neck, and deciding on a fingerboard radius. I like them nearly flat, like a 16" curve, but I read somewhere that there's no reason you can't go with a flat fingerboard. Flamenco and Classical players do it all the time. The guy's a luthier and says that it allows for really low action as well.

Does anybody know WHY fingerboards are radiused and the advantages of radius over flat? Any reasons NOT to go flat?

I figure I'm building it, I should make what I want to play, not a clone.

Any sage advice?

That question is too involved to answer in a simple post, when in fact (whether you care or not) there is extensive information available on this and other sources already.

There's no point re-inventing the wheel.

Greg

:D

I think this question might as well be our new 'Can I use pine for a guitar?'. Radius is to make chording easier. If you're gonna go flat make sure you can find a bridge that will adjust to a zero radius.

....The new pine for a guitar question!!!!!!Now why would you start a post off with a statement like this?.....The man is asking a question. Does a tighter or larger radius make for easier chording? I personally find a flatter radius preferable for all my playing. I'm going to aplologize up front for this one, Devon, but you post on any topic just for the sake of posting. If you are stating only that it makes chording easier, you ought to elaborate.

Acoustic dreadnaughts and jazz guitars tend to have flatter radii....Does this make for easier positioning on complicated chords? If this is true, then solo work should be easier on a..... say 7.5in radius..... Then I guess SRV's #1(which I have been up-close and personal with) should be a better guitar for chords with its very flat fingerboard. Violins and cellos have a very tight radius...it is easy to tell why......I'm a little annoyed right now, so I'm not going to go on....Flame me if you want (I'm not going to come back to this thread because I've said what I felt I had to say)......I'm just trying to point out that we should not attack or be a smart ass to anyone for simply asking a question and how rediculous some responses can be.

BTW.....Speaking of pine......Did you ever use any Alaskan Black Pine? If you have, the "pine question" becomes less humorous.

(I'm not going to come back to this thread because I've said what I felt I had to say)

I'm not going to disagree or agree with anything else said in the rest of the post (it's between you and Devon), but it's been my experience that statements like that quoted are NEVER true.

You'll read this for sure, whether or not you make any other posts to confirm or not. :D:D

It's just human nature.

B)

I think this question might as well be our new 'Can I use pine for a guitar?'. Radius is to make chording easier. If you're gonna go flat make sure you can find a bridge that will adjust to a zero radius.

....The new pine for a guitar question!!!!!!Now why would you start a post off with a statement like this?.....The man is asking a question. Does a tighter or larger radius make for easier chording?

Hold up buddy, take a chill pill. I though my post pretty obviously answered his question. I made the pine comment, because I've read this exact question at least 4 times in the last couple days. I wasn't being even slightly rude in my opinion. I answered the guys question didn't I? :D I just don't use anymore words than I feel are necessary most of the time. Try doing a grand barre on a classical flat radius board. Now try the same chord on a board with radius. It's nearly immeasurably easier on the board with radius. Go do a large bend on a stock strat with low action. It will fret out. Do a bend on a flatter radius or compound radius board, and chances are it will either note out much later, or won't at all. I'm more than a little offended that you think I would flame you for calling me out. Obviously, bowed instruments have massive radii because they need to be bowed.

So basically you'd rather me not answer the guys question than to type something less then two paragraphs long? I've got better things to do anyway, so it's no sweat off my back. I'm willing to bet people want answers to their questions even if they aren't exhaustive.

The only thing I'm mad about is the fact that everyone keeps calling flat fretboards "zero radius." This is NOT TRUE. A zero radius circle is a point, not a line. A flat fretboard is actually infinite radius, a straight line.

Sorry... this just keeps coming up and it's making my nitpicking gland act up :D.

I think the radiused fretboards came about cuz there's too many of us "un-trained" guitar players sliding our thumbs too far on the upper side of the neck when we chord. We wrap our whole palm around the neck to the point that the thumb is sticking way up there and could probably fret bass notes with it :D

Players who have taken classical guitar lessons are taught to keep the thumb of the fretboard hand anchored squarely in the middle of the back of the neck at all times, kinda like when you play a bar chord. If you keep your thumb in that position, open chords, or any other finger positions, aren't that hard on flat fretboards. Actually, it's more ergonomic to play a flat fretboard with your thumb anchored on the back of the neck, than to play a flat fretboard wrapping your palm around the neck.

Of course, classical lessons teach the proper way to sit on a stool when playing a guitar, too. Ain't nobody gonna keep me from slouching comfortably while I'm jamming!

If you've played a flat fretboard and like it, go for it.

I think the radiused fretboards came about cuz there's too many of us "un-trained" guitar players sliding our thumbs too far on the upper side of the neck when we chord.  We wrap our whole palm around the neck to the point that the thumb is sticking way up there and could probably fret bass notes with it  :D

You mean you don't already.

Pretty common technique for electric guitar players!

I think the radiused fretboards came about cuz there's too many of us "un-trained" guitar players sliding our thumbs too far on the upper side of the neck when we chord.   We wrap our whole palm around the neck to the point that the thumb is sticking way up there and could probably fret bass notes with it   B)

You mean you don't already.

Pretty common technique for electric guitar players!

Yeah, I know it's common. I was just using that as an example to give a mental picture of the palm wrap-around thing. Jeez. See the smiley face there? It means like "tongue in cheek" you know. :D

Whoa!!! whoawhoa... Everybody breathe deep. Nice.

I really wasn't offended by the "Pine" comment so it's no big deal.

For any of you that are interested, I'll post the work in progress on the thread I started in the "Work In Progress" forum.

Thanks for the help.

And please switch to decaf?

Edited by sexybeast