Pickups,which Would You Recommend?

Antihero

Which of these would you recommend in the neck position of a saga lc-10 kit that will be used for metal/hard rock tones?  

24 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I am kinda looking for a pickup that not a lot of people use,but would like to hear any opinion that you would give me. Please remember that this is going to be used for metal and heavier tones almost exclusively and that it is going to be put in the neck position of a Saga LC-10 kit. Also only passive humbuckers please.

Thanks

Edited by Antihero

I have a Kent armstrong motherbucker and its HOT!! I have a set of EMG's as well and although I havn't been able to use the motherbucker lately, I reckon its about as hot if not hotter than the EMG 81. Also you get AWESOME harmonics off it and it can be wired in loads of different combos. However its clean tones aren't great and it doesn't have much top end.

I might look at getting the alnico MM motherbuckers though becaus ethey sound more like a les paul on steriods and sound a bit sweeter.

Or you could get a KA closed distortion alnico and a closed high out put for the neck. Then it would look like EMG but be 1/4 of the price for both and they sound good.

Could you let me know what the saga kist are like and the quality of them?

cheers

Matt

I am about to try a Bartolini set comprising of a ZBS-80 in the bridge and a ZBS-75 in the neck...

I found an online retailer that sells them for roughly Seymour Duncan prices, so I can't wait to get my set and try them out. The pitch I read on Stars Pickups sold me...

Check them out at: http://www.starspickups.com/ZBSelectric.php

and this is the place I am ordering them from: http://store.pickupcentral.com/bartolini.html

- Dan

:D HI!

You are going to love those pickups. Ron at Stars guitars is very helpful. Just a suggestion, though, and only my humble opinion, the best match I've found for the 80 in the bridge is the slightly more mellow 70 in the neck. This depends on the sounds you are seeking, however. Jus an opinion and worth about as much.

Peace,

I am about to try a Bartolini set comprising of a ZBS-80 in the bridge and a ZBS-75 in the neck...

I found an online retailer that sells them for roughly Seymour Duncan prices, so I can't wait to get my set and try them out.  The pitch I read on Stars Pickups sold me...

Check them out at: http://www.starspickups.com/ZBSelectric.php

and this is the place I am ordering them from: http://store.pickupcentral.com/bartolini.html

- Dan

I have a Kent armstrong motherbucker and its HOT!! I have a set of EMG's as well and although I havn't been able to use the motherbucker lately, I reckon its about as hot if not hotter than the EMG 81.  Also you get AWESOME harmonics off it and it can be wired in loads of different combos.  However its clean tones aren't great and it doesn't have much top end.

I might look at getting the alnico MM motherbuckers though becaus ethey sound more like a les paul on steriods and sound a bit sweeter.

Or you could get a KA closed distortion alnico and a closed high out put for the neck.  Then it would look like EMG but be 1/4 of the price for both and they sound good.

cheers

Matt

Thanks for your response and i will definatley write a review on the kit when i get it.

:D HI!

You are going to love those pickups.  Ron at Stars guitars is very helpful.  Just a suggestion, though, and only my humble opinion, the best match I've found for the 80 in the bridge is the slightly more mellow 70 in the neck. This depends on the sounds you are seeking, however.  Jus an opinion and worth about as much.

Peace,

Yeah, I had a really tough time deciding between the 70 and 75, and in an email from Ron he basically said both were great lol (which is probably very true). I beleive you may have just changed my mind :D 80 & 70 it is. I want a fairly versatile rock sound which can do an admirable job of both heavy metal and joe satriani style melodic instrumental stuff...

- Dan

PS: I just realised, sorry for the hijack.

I have a Kent armstrong motherbucker and its HOT!! I have a set of EMG's as well and although I havn't been able to use the motherbucker lately, I reckon its about as hot if not hotter than the EMG 81.  Also you get AWESOME harmonics off it and it can be wired in loads of different combos.  However its clean tones aren't great and it doesn't have much top end.

Or you could get a KA closed distortion alnico and a closed high out put for the neck.  Then it would look like EMG but be 1/4 of the price for both and they sound good.

cheers

Matt

Thanks for your response and i will definatley write a review on the kit when i get it.

And my thought on the Saga kits,exspecially the LC-10

RUN SCREAMING IN THE OTHER DIRECTION FROM ANY SAGA LES PAUL STYLE KIT.DO NOT LOOK AT OR EVEN THINK OF IT!!!!!!!!!!

You can read why in my post titled Saga Kits in the solid body forum

Edited by Antihero