Vital Strat Tremolo Question, Wilkinson And Floyd

Okay I know I've asked this before, but I want to be sure before I order a body from usa custom or warmoth. I have experience with floyds and know they are the only way to go for super smooth action and dive bombs and such, as well as staying in tune. I've never used a wilkinson though. How good are they? What kind of action do they have?

Also, during the construction process is it substantially more work to install a floyd instead of a wilkinson?

third question, the neck I was going to have built will be a 12 inch radius. Which neck radius works well with a floyd?

oh, and I almost forgot to add, the original floyd rose, do the fine tuners get in the way of your hand, palm muting or otherwise?

I'm only posting because I happen to be online-- there are a multitude of people on here who know better than me; however, I'm a chatty type, so here's a bit of what I know:

1. A Wilkinson's action is smooth, but you're right-- dive-bombing will be fairly out of the question if you want tuning stability. To improve stability, use a low-friction nut (ie. GraphTec) and locking tuners, if you decide to go this route.

2. You DO need gentle palm technique when using a standard floating Floyd, but not significantly moreso than other floating trems. The little knobbies themselves shouldn't get in the way, though, since your palm will be touching the bridge right at the point where the strings 'end'. The knobbies are a little ways back from that. Alternatively, by setting it up for pitching down only (like EVH), you're less likely to throw it out of whack with palm-muting technique.

3. I always thought Floyds were 15" radius, but the ones I see at StewMac are 14" radius. You might be able to get them in a variety of 'flavours', but I don't recall 12" being commonly available. Also, maybe 14" IS the only radius available. I'm sure somebody knowledgeable will clear it up soon. :D

Greg

1.  A Wilkinson's action is smooth, but you're right-- dive-bombing will be fairly out of the question if you want tuning stability.  To improve stability, use a low-friction nut (ie. GraphTec) and locking tuners, if you decide to go this route.

Greg's right about the Wilkinson. It's fine for dive bombing, but be sure that there is no place at the other end for the strings to get hung up. Carvin uses a graphite nut and Sperzels on the Wilkinson option, and it's standard equipment with their Floyd Rose setup (the locking nut is optional).

If you rout to make it a floater, be sure that your trem springs are secure on the claw before you pull all the way up or go all the way slack. It may be a fluke, but my bud's Carvin has a bad habit of popping a spring in the middle of My Guitar Wants to Kill Yer Momma. So far it's just been at rehearsal, but we've been lucky.