Great Or Not, Waddyathink?

If I'm understanding your pic correctly I was adding (actually leaving) more material to the outside edge where your original curve was. I was trying to keep the flame tips you had cut but just made them a bit wider. Maybe I need a better program for drawing in......

EDIT: OK I fiddled with it some more and now it looks really crappy....but I think you can see what I mean now. See the pic above.

Edited by bluespresence

Oh, no I was talking about the proposed "bumps" left at the bottom of the headstalk, do you think that removing more stock inside of the more straightened out line representing the "new" silhoute would weaken the headstalk?

Never mind I just saw your edited drawing.... Yeah that does help with keeping things a little stiffer up there. Looks better to me too

Yup, it'll be better-looking fasheezy. The tuners will have to be repositioned so that you get clearance to turn them, but the overall shape is looking good.

Greg

Agreed I will be more carefull in the future.  As to the intent of the original thread I have redone the drawing of the headstock to emphasise the body better.  Here it is, as always all comments and or suggestions are very welcome.Head1.JPG

thanks again for the input fellas

why not leave the headstock outside edges alone, but take your interior "flame" cutout all the way to the edges? I hope you understand, I can't draw it right now. I think it would look great if you just made a "flame" relief cut on the top side, leaving everthing else the same.

That is xactly what i was talking about. I'm glad it helped. I think you could leave the outside edges as they are and just do the cutout but its your design not mine. The outside edges are going to affect how the tuners look as much as anything and i kinda like the hourglass over-all shape. The licks at the top look good, can't wait to see the cutting done.

Head2.jpg

this is what I was thinking (the red) but the black looks ok to me too. leaving the bottom and the rest of the outline as is, just adding the interior relief cut.

ebony veneer on top would look nice too, maybe binding the headstock edge too?

Edited by robmarch

Well I left most of the headstock outline alone, trimmed off the nubs of alder, and recessed the flame into the top with a bit of a recurved look. Too tired to head to the shop for pics tonight, tommorrow I'll show ya how it came out. Thanks for all the great ideas, personaly I like it a lot better this way.

Ok, here's the new cut on the head, it's only been roughed in but it should give you a general idea

guitarhead003.jpg

So whats the consencise? I like it alot better than the last one. Thanks to Bluesprecence, Skibum5545, Mledbetter,Metal Matt, and Pibrocher (by the way Pibrocher, that bass with the full on sculpting is absolutely gorgeous!) for the great ideas and assistance. :D

Yeah, that is looking much more like a unified theory. Keep up the good work. I am all about instruments that push the envelope. This flame guitar of yours is doing just that. Be glad Hendrix aint around to see it, he might have gotten some inspiration from it and try to light it on fire. :D

Hah, can't wait to see all your hardware. Rock on!!!

Yeah, instead of gay, you should have used the term "flaming"! LOL

Do we really need the ultra political correctness? I'm sure he didn't mean to offend those of you of the homosexual persuasion. It's not like he sewed a pink triangle to your clothes or anything. Sheesh.

• 5 months later...

Finally finished it up a month ago. Ended up Ok, sounds alot more "metal" than I thought it would. Don't realy know if that had to do with the pickups being so close together, or the purpleheart fingerboard, it does sound pretty bassy when the amp is equalized. But that is easy to take care of by blending the pickups a little different for lighter tones.

Also decided to go with a boiled linseed oil and wax finish, as I don't have to drag it around to gigs or anything. All in all I'm happy with it.

Picture007.jpg

back

head

sorry for fuzzy pics my camera's in the shop, had to use the wifes.

Nate Robinson :D

I like it a lot! Honestly, I think it would look better still if the horns on the headstock cut all the way down to a point, but as-is it looks good too. Deffo a large improvement over the old 'stock.

The finish is nice too. A subtle finish on a rather wild body adds an altogether pleasing air of class to the guitar; what could have turned out flagrantly '80's took the high road instead.