Stereo Wiring W/ Xlr

rockthe40

whats up guys? i just got my internet back so i should be around more often

im hoping to start building a guitar in a few months when i save up the cash. i was thinking about doing stereo wiring with an XLR cable to a homemade splitter box that would run the 2 signals to 2 different amps. i know that the XLR has 3 "leads" for hot, ground, and negative so im not sure if i could just arrange it so its 2 positives (one from each PUP) and then a ground

advantages: one cable coming out of the guitar yet still stereo, onboard preamps in the splitter box, easier to manage and control since it would be splitted on my pedalboard.

disadvantages: i would also have to make a back up mono-wired output jack

BUT is it possible with and XLR? i was also thinking of a stereo 1/4" cable but i cant seem to find any.

XLR cable is the cable of choice for balanced mic cords. It works real well for stereo output from guitars with a TRS output jack. The cable can be made where no splitter is required. It is simply divided into two shielded single-conductor cables at the end. The other thing to consider is that at times, you will want to lift the tip/ring connection so that you can sum the outputs to a standard mono guitar cable. Easily done with a SPDT switch but a bit confusing to wire.

Is there any particular reason why you prefer XLRs to standard TRS stereo plugs/jacks? There's no particular sonic advantage to using XLRs for a stereo signal, and they're bulkier, heavier and much more expensive than regular jacks. Besides, you can always wire in a switch to convert your TRS output to standard mono, so you only need one jack.

damn i feel like an idiot lol. i searched for a stereo cable on all the major online music stores but since i didnt know what theyre called i wasnt able to find one. and thats why i wanted the XLR.

i think ill still do the splitter box so i can do each output to separate signal chains, switch outputs to signal chains, combine outputs to a single chain, and what not----i havent put a whole lot of thought into that part

rock, you don't need the splitter box unless you are just sold on the idea. The switching and adaptation from dual to single-combined output can be done in the guitar wiring. It is not that uncommon.