More P-90 Questions

Mickguard

My next guitar is going to be sort of a cross between a Les Paul Junior, an Epiphone Crestwood and a Gibson Melody Maker...it's going to have a single P-90, that much I know.

I've already bought a soapbar P-90, but what I really want is the dog ear version...just wasn't able to find one in black, at least, something affordable...

My question: will the route be the same for both types? That is, can I route for the soapbar, and still have the option of replacing it with a dog ear when I find one?

Or what about this: are there rings for the soapbar that I can use to get the look of a dog ear (and cover up the edges of my route if I, er, get a little sloppy :D ) ...All I'm really after is the look of the dog ear type.

I suppose I could fashion my own rings, but if something exists already, that'll be better --can you point me to a site?

By the way, I bought one of those mighty mite P-90s --they're getting great reviews, and go for $12! (I'm pretty suspicious of those overprices boutique pickups...)

(I'm pretty suspicious of those overprices boutique pickups...)

I wouldn't be. I have two seymour duncan vintage P-90s in my first guitar that were like $70 each. and It couldn't be more worth it! I've heard expensive and cheap pickups (in the same guitar) and the expensive pickups are IMO far supperior too the "budget" alternative. IMHO The pickups and electronics is NOT a place you can skimp too save money.

Edited by Godin SD

Hmm....this is going to be one of those 'I'll believe it when I see it' deals...or 'hear it' more likely.

I'm not convinced there's a huge difference --although the fact that Godin says he's mounted different pickups in the same guitar helps sway me....

Anyway, knowing myself, I won't actually rest until I have an authentic Gibson P90 in the guitar I want to make...in the meantime, I've got the Mighty Mite, we'll see how that works out.

(I'm pretty suspicious of those overprices boutique pickups...)

I wouldn't be. I have two seymour duncan vintage P-90s in my first guitar that were like $70 each. and It couldn't be more worth it! I've heard expensive and cheap pickups (in the same guitar) and the expensive pickups are IMO far supperior too the "budget" alternative. IMHO The pickups and electronics is NOT a place you can skimp too save money.

Completely agree with Godin... If I had to choose between a guitar with cheap wood and expensive pickups and a guitar with expensive wood and cheap pickups, I wood choose the one with the expensive pickups every day. Pickups and electronics are too important.

Dude, Rio Grande has dogear P-90s for about $70-75 dollars. They're good quality pups made in Texas and not some kid in China. Skimping on electronics when you've already put the money and effort into the wood is like buying a Corvette and driving it on a pothole-ridden gravel road with cheap gas in the tank.

Dude, Rio Grande has dogear P-90s for about $70-75 dollars. They're good quality pups made in Texas and not some kid in China. Skimping on electronics when you've already put the money and effort into the wood is like buying a Corvette and driving it on a pothole-ridden gravel road with cheap gas in the tank.

Sounds like Saturday night in Pauls Valley! YEEHAW! :D