Can I Replicate This?

Hi all! Long time reader, first time poster, you guys have helped so much, so thanks :D

I'm in the process of building a lefty ken lawrence explorer, its got a mahogany body and neck, but i'm a bit worried about the finishing. i think i'm a bit confused about grain filler and dying and staining procedures....

This is what I want to replicate Explorer

Can I do this sort of finish on my mahogany? Would anyone be able to guide me through the steps i'd need to follow?

I spend about 2-3 hours a day reading/searching on here, but i'm still a bit lost...sorry to be a pain in the a** :D

Thanks in advance, love your work B)

Dan

Edited by Dan_007

Yeah, I figured that the grain would look a lot different, how about those colours though? What products would I need to use, and in what order?

Sorry if I seem a bit dense, just a bit inexperienced with this whole finishing thing.

Yeah, I figured that the grain would look a lot different, how about those colours though? What products would I need to use, and in what order?

Sorry if I seem a bit dense, just a bit inexperienced with this whole finishing thing.

That looks like the wood's grain. You can't make mahogany look like that. If you try painting the grain on it will look like poo

Your best bet is to get a top laminate of some wood that has that kind of grain, otherwise be happy with a mahogany finish.

Go to the Certainly Wood website and browse through the various veneers available. Since you're looking at a design with a flat face you can glue a 1/28" layer of veneer over your mahogany base.

You could paint the "zebra stipe" detail on with analine dyes, but it wouldn't come close to the real stuff.

Definitely check out the Re-ranch tutorial.

What about veener?

Check out the wood gallery section at this link:

http://www.amwoodinc.com

They show pictures of the different types,so you can cross reference all of the woods mentioned and find the one tht you feel is the closest.It may also show you a grain that you like even better.