Magnets For Pickups

Hughes

ok, i want to make my own pickups, but i was wondering if i could use this magnet i hve, which is used for cows to swallow so when they eat nails it will stick to the magnet. the magnet looks really similar to a lipstick pickup and i was wondering if i could use that magnet to make a humbucker pickup? oh and if not would a hardware store sell magents suitable for pickups? thanks

Edited by Hughes

dude i hope you are using a NEW magnet, and not a used one!! man that would be a stinky pup!! :D

try here for some good info on building pickups, and there is a link on the page for magnets as well

Edited by dash

mledbetter...that sounds great but I can't find it!!!

Look up GuitarJones online.. you can get everything you need from them.. magnets, bobbins, etc.. they have a pretty good deal on a bobbin with magnets already formed out of forbon fiberboard, eyelets installed.. ready to wind. not a bad deal at all.

Guitar Jones Link??

Just the kind of thing I'm looking for...but. I see StewMac is doing a line in pickup supplies. Allparts have some stuff as well.

dash...nice link to pickup making...

try here for some good info on building pickups, and there is a link on the page for magnets as well
err...click the link on dash's post above.

Anyone with tips on bobbin making would be appreciated...you can find magnets in all kinds of places but making the bobbins is always the worst...well at least for me.

pete :D

Thanks...I have seen that link before, but...cutting CD cases is hard...usually very brittle.

By the way...you can find suitable pickup mags in hardware stores. They'll be ceramic, and you may need a few under pole pieces (bolts, or whatever) or a steel blade. Traditional humbucker mags are harder to find as the poles are on their sides...not their faces...but you might find something that will work all the same. Try craft shops also...sometimes they have mags to make heavy fridge magnets of different shapes...again ceramic.

pete