Ebay.. Striped Apart Strat's For Sale...

Does anyone get a bit .. sad when they see all these torn up strat parts being sold on ebay?

"vintage 68 body" or... "clapton v-neck"

I kinda get a bit upset thinkinf these guitars are being sold for parts...

and howmany of these parts are imitations? "I smell fraud"...

just venting...

Actually...I was going to ask about this myself. I don't know if I feel sad exactly...or that they are fakes. I found this ebay store:

The STRAT-osphere

What's the story do you think? Are guitars simply worth more as parts. And what's with a lot of them being this year's model? Where do all these guitars come from?

Maybe it indicates that the building of guitars from parts is bigger than it seems...perhaps that's a good thing...I'd like to know what people think!

psw

I suppose that is a nice way to look at it.. " buildiong guitars is kewl"...

but how hard is it to copy a strat body.. paint it and sell it..?

They go for between 125 and 225 all day....

I guess that the part that make me sad is that for 50 plus years some of these guitars hav ebeen cherrished and now they're taken to pieces to get a few more bucks out of them...

keep in mid that a 50's strat is almost certainly worth more together sot these arent usually the target.. it's the late 60's and up...

but hoe does one tell if it's a real strat body they've got..???//

and i guess if you can't tell it does not matter....

right?

Am I the only one who thinks the $900 1962 neck looks fishy? I have to admit, I didn't read the details... is it one of the 1962 replicas? If so, why would it sell for $900?

I dunno... very very dodgy.

Greg

Well...certainly something wacky!

I can't imagine that a original '62 would be worth more as parts but with a lot of guitars on this site, you'll find the rest of the other bits and pieces.

Kind of a Fender wrecking yard!

pete

No, this site is pretty upfront about everything...you wont find much in the way of true vintage parts...but there is some amazing stuff there and they're selling for a bit. A lot of signiture models, too and 2005 models...who's selling guitar's like this for parts...we're talking 100's of guitar's here!

if you guys are talking about that first neck on the stratosphere page, it's not a real '62.  it clearly says that it's a NOS fender custom shop neck.

Yep, I see it now in the description: "Year: 1998" They've not lied about the neck. The 'NOS' part isn't the giveaway, though. NOS just means (as the page itself says) "New Old Stock". You could in theory have a part lying around from 1962 that's never actually been used and it'd be NOS. That doesn't change the fact that they haven't lied, though-- I just didn't see the "Year: 1998" part at first.

Are custom shop '62 replica necks REALLY worth $900 US? In my opinion you'd have to be very wealthy or a complete numpty to pay nearly a grand just for a replica neck.

Greg

Yeah, well it must have major mojo!!!

I was watching a baseball bat profiled Jeff Beck signiture neck...sold for over $400!!!

Must be some kind of ebay feeding frenzy...but who's buying the stuff and where does it all come from? That's what I want to know!

They're just feeding off this vintage thing...even though it's pretty well-established that Fenders built after 1966 or so (up until the early 90s for MIA stuff) are POS, not NOS... a friend of mine who ran a pretty big recording studio in England for a long time told me they used to go through 10 Fenders to find one decent enough to play and record with...

As for the newer stuff...well, figure you're paying 100% to 500% extra just for that Fender logo...

As for the question "are these Strats worth more as parts?" the answer (at least for recent Strats) is no. Quite awhile back I did some homework, comparing the eBay costs for MIM and American Std Strats both together and as parts, and you don't make any money by purchasing a whole Strat and then parting it out. Typically just under $500 for an American Standard and around $275 for a MIM Strat (both used). Even an SRV Strat won't bring any more as parts than it will together.

OK,

Here's the other issue...

I see "unloaded" "not plywood" stat bodies go for 55-60 bucks all day long on ebay...

these are almost certainly johnsons or indiana guitars.....

the body sells for 55-60 but the whole guitar was only 100 - 118 NEW and COMPLETE...

so there is a market for "generic" strat parts as well.

the seller then sells the pickups and neckplate as well as the neck for a few more 20$ bills...

it WORKS and the proof is in the pudding.

A big apple strat neck went for 200-250... the whole guitar goes for 450...

the case goes for 55-60 the bridege another 35.. and so on I feel that PARTING OUT is profitable.

(but I disagree with the premise)

altogether; interesting....:D

Yep, I see it now in the description:  "Year:  1998"  They've not lied about the neck.  The 'NOS' part isn't the giveaway, though.  NOS just means (as the page itself says) "New Old Stock".  You could in theory have a part lying around from 1962 that's never actually been used and it'd be NOS.  That doesn't change the fact that they haven't lied, though-- I just didn't see the "Year: 1998" part at first.

Nope Greg, "NOS" actually is a giveaway when talking about the Fender custom shop, as it is a term regarding the custom shop "timemachine"... Basically the custom shop makes more or less exact replicas of, say, a '60 strat. NOS means it is an exact replica, without aging. CC (closet classic) would have some aging, like a guitar that was played a bit and then stored away, while a relic as we all know is a heavily aged replica.

Look here and here.

The dealer seems perfectly fine to me.

Edited by Mr.Churchyard

Back in the day NOS really was "old but just found"...at least until Fender used it to label a line of guitars.  Goes both ways.

Yeah, I know. My point is, if I read "CUSTOM SHOP American Vintage Fender 62 NOS Excellent!" That "NOS" in combination with "CUSTOM SHOP" is an exact description that is not meant to be misleading, but says all you want and need to know about...

At least I would inform myself vastly about Fender vintage series and custom shop etc. before spending 900$ on a neck from ebay, so if someone pays 900$ thinking to get a real 62 one, too bad for him :D

Edited by Mr.Churchyard

On ebay france it's pretty common to find parted out guitars....mostly Johnsons, Stagg, etc., stuff that costs 89 euros.

Problem with the Johnsons is they're using EMG 'designed' pickups...so people were calling them EMG pickups and getting 60 euros for just the pups...

I don't have a big problem with parting out guitars though, as long as you're honest about what you're selling.

And if people are really willing to pay 900 for a neck...well, consider this: both the Johnson and the Stagg I bought are made of alder...there's no big difference between them and any Fender body.

I picked up the pickups and electronics for $25.

So all I need to turn them into better guitars would be better necks...and if I buy fender necks, I get the logo too, and a certain level of quality.

parting out vintage gear is a common thing.. a buddy of mine bought a 68 body jazz bass with original electronics but a 70s bridge and an allparts neck. Paid 400 for it.

He sold the body for 680, the tuners for 120, the pups for 80 each, the electronics for 30 or 40 and the bridge for 50. Did pretty well. AND the dude that he bought it from bought it as a whole vintage guitar with a warped neck.. he sold the banana neck for 700 bucks and sold the rest of the parts with a new neck for 400.

When you have a old guitar that isn't all original, it's worth more as parts than it is whole. that's just the current market for vintage crap. I don't see the desire but folks do apparently.

The whole isn't always greater than the sum of the parts.. lol..

Off Topic: Mled' I'm listening to FTW "Let me out of Here" and your dude in your avatar is dancing right in time to it. LMAO!!!!

On Topic: I have found that parts are worth more than a guitar a lot of times also. I should just part out everything I have.......

and NOS to me has always meant "New Old Stock" ie: never used original equipment. If Fender is calling something a 1962 Custom Shop NOS and it was not made in 1962 I'd consider that misleading.....but hey, that's just my opinion.

I have been looking at parts on this "statosphere" store on Ebay every single day for about a few weeks now. I am still amazed as the guitar bodies and necks just keep rolling in daily one by one. Where do all of these "extra" parts and bodies come from? Are they replacements straight from fender or salvaged ones from the real deal's? Or are they "fakes"? How hard could it be to make all of these bodies the sam as they were in that year, stamp them, slap inspection stickers and stuff on them and sell them for $200+ ? This makes me cringe when I think what could be the truth, but may not be the truth. Who knows, i'm certainly no expert. By the way, there are very few parts on there now, about a week ago there were over 100 bodies/necks, cases, bridges, hardware, and other parts/electronics. They usually added them as they were sold. Maybe they are finally running out?

Edited by DokterPeppor

I have been looking at parts on this "statosphere" store on Ebay every single day for about a few weeks now. I am still amazed as the guitar bodies and necks just keep rolling in daily one by one. Where do all of these "extra" parts and bodies come from?

I bought a pickup from the guy....supposed to be a USA tele pickup (it's the Bocaster's neck pickup). Paid $15 for it...so this guy isn't get all that rich from it. On the other hand, he's not always so clear about what he's selling --I'm still wondering if the pickup really is a US pickup, or if it comes off a Highway One (which is an 'American' guitar with foreign parts right)

Think of the number of Fenders that get sold every day, and the number that gets damaged--maybe this guy gets hold of a damaged guitar, like a snapped neck or something, and parts those out?

But yeah, he used to have tons of stuff up there...

I've never heard Fender using "NOS" as a descriptor for replica parts. If they are, that's bullsh** marketing, because New Old Stock is a very common term that is still in widespread use for all kinds of merchandise, guitar-related or otherwise. I admit, I haven't really looked into Fender Custom Shop stuff myself, but I'd find it unlikely that Fender themselves call it "New Old Stock" when it's a new replica. They'd call it a "'62 Strat re-issue/replica neck". They don't have much control over what resellers might call it, but I doubt a new replica neck is shipped from the factory with the term "NOS" on it.

The reason this vender is calling it NOS isn't because it's a replica. It's because it's an unused part dating back to 1998. I already agreed that they haven't lied, and that I just didn't read carefully enough. I doubt it's coincidence that the "1962 NOS" is in bold typeface and the "year: 1998" is kinda buried in there, though.

It's not a fib, but it IS a marketing tactic. Nothing immoral, but still a touch of shady.

Greg

Greg, I already posted two links, just click here, won't take a minute. It's a pity, but Fender DOES call it like that. And if you look at the pictures on ebay, you'll see the custom shop logo. That itself shows it cannot be a true vintage piece.

Edited by Mr.Churchyard

Sorry, didn't see your original links. It's 5:30am and I haven't gone to bed yet. Concentration is shot. :D

Yup, you're right. Fender have once again proven their worthlessness to me, though. I have no need for them. I'd already decided before this that future tele and strat purchases will be G&L or any other alternative.

Greg