Scale Length Calculations Without Neck

:D:D I am supposed to finish building my guitar by the end of next week and have the body pickups and bridge but the neck I ordered Won't be here in time for my deadline.

The Problem is I don't know how to find the scale length without the neck,

Does anyone now if this is at all possible? If so PLEASE help me B):D

why does it have to be done at the end of next week?

if its a personal deadline, PUT IT OFF, unless you want a crap taculor sounding guitar, put it off, if its for a school project or something, tell the teacher that it is very important to have it be put off, if its for a "client" put it off and give them the reason its not finished is that you didnt want to risk a good guitar by a sketchy calculation.

Pics?

Curtis

Do you have the neck pocket routed yet?

If not, you COULD place the bridge and the pickups and just take into account how far out the nut needs to be, but the risks of being off by even a 1/4 inch are very great.

If it's a Strat-style neck from Warmoth with a 25.5 inch scale length, then the nut has to be 25.25 from the bridge to allow for intonation adjustment.

Sounds like you'll need to use that big squash between your ears and those two balls between your legs and just do it right the first time. Procrastination is a jealous mistress that will not hesitate to call you in the middle of dinner with your wife and kids.

If you know what the scale length is (and why wouldn't you?), measure the nut to heel on another guitar with the same scale (or use a fret slot template) and cut a board to fit the neck pocket. Use your body centerline. Measure, measure, measure. Measure some more.

Do you have the neck pocket routed yet?

If not, you COULD place the bridge and the pickups and just take into account how far out the nut needs to be, but the risks of being off by even a 1/4 inch are very great.

If it's a Strat-style neck from Warmoth with a 25.5 inch scale length, then the nut has to be 25.25 from the bridge to allow for intonation adjustment.

Sounds like you'll need to use that big squash between your ears and those two balls between your legs and just do it right the first time. Procrastination is a jealous mistress that will not hesitate to call you in the middle of dinner with your wife and kids.

Good idea I'll give that a try. :D:D I'll figure something out

Unfortunately, although you could estimate and get reasonable close, there is no way to know for sure without the neck. The problem lies in the fact that you dont know where the heel of the neck lies in relation to the nut. If you knew the distance between the end of the heel on the neck and the nut, you could then take that distance, subtract it from the scale length, and measure out the remainder from the end of the neck pocket on the face of the guitar. That would give you your bridge position.

The only solution would be to post asking for someone with the same neck as yours to take measuements, or just call Warmoth.

• 3 weeks later...