Veneer Purchasing?

[sarcasm]Hi guys, I'm new to the forum, and I was wondering if you guys knew how to put a maple veneer on a guitar top and also where can I buy one and does pine work for a body?[/sarcasm]

Actually, it's a different veneer question from that one. I'm looking for a pau ferro veneer to use as a pinstripe veneer between a maple top and swamp ash body. However, all the places I've looked at either require you to buy a 4'x8' sheet, or a 9" sheet 47 feet long, or a series of 47 flitches, each too small to stand alone as a veneer. Moreover, they all have $10 processing fees.

All I'm looking for is a 1'x2' sheet of veneer! Is there any place I can buy such a thing without the rest of the bundle--fees, shipping cost, an extra 47 square feet of veneer-- or am I just going to have to suck it up and blow $35 on pau ferro pinstripes for all the guitars for the rest of my life?

Edited by skibum5545

Too...difficult... to tell where the sarcasm ends and the reality begins. :D

I suspect you're actually looking for pao ferro veneer, in which case I couldn't tell ya.

Greg

I think 12" wide Pau is going to be really tuff to find. The suggestion to use Walnut sounds like a good one to me. I will check around a bit. Although I dont use much veneer I have several places close to me that sell it. If I find something I will let you know.

Peace, Rich

Actually, good point. I've seen walnut veneers around, but all with the same problems: I just don't need a 4x8 sheet of walnut veneer! Really, the problem I'm having lies in the quantity, not the type of veneer.

Rockler's Veneer

48" long and 10" wide for 3.99.. Cut in half and you'd have a 24x20 layer.. plenty for one body..

Ya beat me too it dagnabit!!! :D