Emg Selects

They're just normal mid-priced humbuckers. I haven't used them myself, but I imagine that due to EMG's reputation for being a popular choice for metal, that they range between mid and high-output. From what I understand, it's not a particularly desirable sounding pickup.

Greg

I bought a heap of the original Select's years ago, only 'cos

they were running 'em out at $10 (US$7) a pop...

I can't speak for the newer Select's...but those original ones were bog-ordinary...

I just used 'em for replacing dead pickups in cheap guitars..they've

got no real character, or tone...or power...they're fairly non-descript

I suppose you could say they're clean...in a boring sort of way...their main redeeming

feature is that they usually work...I can't remember seeing a dead one

So it's for bass, then. Whoops. I dunno about the Select bass pickups, but I suspect they're also mediocre.

If you have the dosh for a Dimarzio Split P, your budget isn't all THAT bad, opening up a world of options. I have even less familiarity with bass pickups, but perhaps Bartolini has something at least close to your price range. I hear nothing but good things about Bart bass pickups.

Greg

So it's for bass, then.  Whoops.  I dunno about the Select bass pickups, but I suspect they're also mediocre.

If you have the dosh for a Dimarzio Split P, your budget isn't all THAT bad, opening up a world of options.  I have even less familiarity with bass pickups, but perhaps Bartolini has something at least close to your price range.  I hear nothing but good things about Bart bass pickups.

Greg

yeah, sorry didnt clarify they are for bass. id just like to spend less than 100 bucks. the dimarzios i found at musiciansfriend.com for 70 bucks.

If you want a real value get the UniversalGems PU0411-023 for $33.00. You can go to TheBassPlace and get BART 8S for around $90.00. Tough call but you said you want deep/low. Stay with them two.