Mesa Bass 400+ "popping"

basey

My question is, do you guys think 1. that the tube failing caused all the popping and problems, or 2. something else caused the tube to fail?

I'm hoping the answer is 1.

I thought I'd ask before I pack it back into the rack case.

My opinion is the bad tube is probably what created all the problems. BTW, good job on fixing it! :D

As I said, the new tubes were pulling more current for some reason, causing your problems. A bad new tube would be why it was pulling more current. Still would have thought the diodes would have gone first.

That is why I said it is a misapplication. A nice 10amp 200 volt would have been fine and reliable BUT the shorted tube is what caused the problem so who cares?

I was just trying to understand what was happening and what was deficient in the circuit... :D

It is not a deficiency as much as a misapplication. Lovecraft said it well when he said it is probly the "wide paint brush" of Mesa diodes. Use it for everything even if it is not just right. But that wasn't the problem so I am an idiot. You got a bad tube. Crap, with 12 tubes in the output section you need to buy a tube tester!

With a dozen 5881/6L6s to keep running, you're probably gonna need a trust fund and some serious hearing protection as well!  :D

the 6l6's cost about $150 or so. and your right, its loud as he**.

And has headroom for miles. I love it. :DB)