Floyd Recess Not Deep Enough

i have a guitar with a body routed for a recessed floyd. i'm in the process of replacing the bridge with an Ibanez Lo-Pro Edge. my guitar's rout is more than large enough, in terms of the actual size....but it's not deep enough. a friend of my brother's has a router and a chisel set, both of which i've been told i can borrow...anyone have any suggestions for the best way to make this recess deeper (it's only 1/8" now)? i'd prefer to not have to take it to a tech and have to pay exorbitant amounts of money.

the guitar:

Gunslinger-sm.jpg

Take the router with a template bit. Let the ball bearing of the template bit ride agaisnt the channel as the cutter makes it deeper. Quite easy as long as you have a template bit, dont pay the money, practice on some scrap and do it urself.

i thought of that, actually....but i don't know if the guy who has the router i'd be able to borrow would have the right bit for that, and he's not awake to ask about it right now.

thought you guys would be interested to know i managed to make it deeper....i borrowed a craftsman rotary tool and a chisel set from my brother's friend's dad....followed the outline of the part i needed deeper with a bit about 1/8" in diameter on the rotary, and then basically just took out the middle with a couple chisels....used some sanding drums on the rotary to smooth everything down, and then did a bit of sanding by hand, and it doesn't look too terrible. i took off some flakes of finish from the top of the body, but that's not too big a deal.

anyway, it doesn't look pro, but it doesn't look terrible either....i think it's good enough that some black paint should do an ok job of covering the imperfections. can't post pics now tho, i don't have a digital camera, but i'll maybe see about borrowing one or something.

Don't use black paint, go to Home Depot and buy some window insulation. It's black spongy material that has adhesive on one side. You cut a piece out the size of your cavity and plant it in there, it will hide your damage AND give you a 'brake' action when you're nearing the wood on an uppull. :D

What you want is only about 1/8" thick, you might find some stuff that is closer to 3/4" thick, that stuff is too big, stay away from it.

Don't use black paint, go to Home Depot and buy some window insulation. It's black spongy material that has adhesive on one side. You cut a piece out the size of your cavity and plant it in there, it will hide your damage AND give you a 'brake' action when you're nearing the wood on an uppull. :D

What you want  is only about 1/8" thick, you might find some stuff that is closer to 3/4" thick, that stuff is too big, stay away from it.

i saw the tutorial for that on the site, but even if i do that, i'm still left with the side walls and such bare....and i don't really up-pull enough for that to really matter for that purpose.

• 4 weeks later...
I'm glad your happy with the results. Personally I think your ruined a nice guitar, but again, that's me.

ruined it how? a couple small finish chips around the rout, but nothing major at all.....the original bridge was unusable and i got a ridiculously amazing deal on the Ibanez bridge....if anything, it's better than it was.

besides, the thing was beaten to **** when i got it....i don't care too much about the looks of this one, it plays and sounds amazing and that's what really matters, right?

Edited by WarriorOfMetal