Vinyl Insert Under Vine Inlay

gun

Hi folks I have my clear acrylic vine inlay (Jem style) just cutted. The vine is for a neck I have to make for a swirled body. This is my first project. Not easy B)

I live in Italy and here we call vinyl something other, can you tell me what material have I to use? I read the tut on 3D inlays but I don't understand exactly what it is.

An advice about glue, it's a clear inlay so I think I have to use slow setting clear epoxy. Right?

I am going for a rosewood fretboard (no ebony this time) maybe Bois de Rose or maybe simply eastern indian rosewood. What filler do you advise me in the case I would need it?

For the stem I would go for a wood, I am still undecided about the kind of wood but what glue to paste it? Titebond or just the epoxy? :D

Thanks to everyone!!! :D

Gian

In tutorial it says Epoxy 330. This seems to dry completely clear. Juwelers use same stuff.

In Ebony it's easier to correct mistakes. Black is blank.......and disappears in black background.

And your using some vinyl type material underneath your acrylic vine inlay????

I just was asking what it is vinyl material, I live in Italy and I have no idea on how translate that "word"!!!

For clear epoxy, the one I could buy, is the slow setting epoxy selling Stew Mac. Will it be ok?

Vinyl = vinile

"chiave di pronuncia di vi·nyl (p) (vnl) n. Il CH2CH radicale chimico univalent, derivato da etilene. C'è ne di vari residui che contengono il vinile radicale, in genere altamente reattivo, polimerizzato facilmente ed usato come materie prime per la plastica. C'è ne di varia plastica tipico dura, flessibile, lucida, usata spesso per i coverings ed i vestiti. Annotazioni del fonografo considerate come gruppo: un deposito di seconda mano che compra e vende il vinile. Idioma: su vinile nel mezzo delle registrazioni del fonografo: una vecchia canzone disponibile soltanto su vinile. [ vin(i) - + - yl. ] (- nlk) registrazione vi·nylic."

:D

I know what is vinyl, i know LPs were made of. I know a lot of thing are vinyl based, glue too. Vinavil?!?!?!?

Here in italy I can't find a material called vinyl in shops so I wanted an help to understand better what kind of sheets they are. maybe are simple plastic (vinyl) colored sheet, I will try to search again.

What do you think of Stew's Epoxy? And their inlay filler color?

For inlay material....aren't you suppose to look for Acrylic type stuff. CD covers seem to do the job as well......

I think in tutorial there is reference to "vinyl" material in this section:

OK let's get started on the actual work, first of all since this is a tutorial about doing a 3D inlay it will involve using a flat insert such as the one I've made out of vinyl decal material pictured on the right and inlaying it under a clear piece of acrylic plastic. I'm using the 3/32" thick type found in the local Lowes hardware. First I laid the insert on top then I scored a line along every edge of my insert to make a clean very tight drawing on the acrylic sheet.

inlay4.jpg

Vinyl decal material can be read as sticker type material. Stuff vinyl decals (= stickers) are made off.

Look for stuff at local sticker/decal making companies.

Computer_Cut_Sheet__Vinyl_lettering_Sticker_.jpg

Edited by RGGR