Spray Shellac

I know that people use shellac in many ways when finishing a guitar - such as french polishing or as a sanding sealer.

I have just finished using spray on shellac as the sealer for my blue tele. It seemed to work very well. I put several coats on the maple top and sides and then sanded the top nice and smooth with 400 grit. Also, I have just finished spraying the mahogany back as well - waiting for it to set up before lightly sanding smooth with 400.

I was then planning on using defts nitro (gloss finish) on the body and top, but why can't I just continue building more coats of the shellac and use that as the finish - no nitro?

Again I know I can build up shellac through french polishing, but could I do the same with the spray can? I mean use it to build the clear coat instead of nitro? HAs anyone tried this, or is it a waste of time and effort?

Any thoughts?

Bill

There are probably some posts in the search function about the plusses and munuses of shellac. That said here goes.

The only real drawbacks to shellac are that it isn't water or alcohol proof and it also isn't particularly scratch resistant. You can develop a beautiful pale gold to amber to garnet colored finish that is a breeze to repair without a huge amount of work.

I would plan on putting a final coat of something like lacquer if I was going to actually play this instrument in anything other than a quiet home setting. Even with a coat of wax beer dissolves shellac. So does enough sweat.

I think Doc is exactly right, as usual. Beyond that - I have been doing a bit of research on shellac myself and have one more tidbit to add. The process of French Polishing is a very regimented and methodical one. The point of the process being to burn each additional layer of finish into the previous one. I think that using a spray shellac for anything other than sealer might be a mistake, especially if you expect a high gloss finish. My opinion is that you would probably end up with a really warm toned finish with a "nice" orange peel look.

Nate Robinson

Shellac works nice for a sealer coat, especially if you are unsure of what you are putting it over, like in a refinish, or if you suspect silicone contamination in the wood. It adheres to almost anything, and most topcoats are compatible with it.

Zinsser makes a product called Seal-coat that is in a can, and is thin enough to put right in the gun. In fact if you thin it, it will run. It is also dewaxed, which is important when using it under lacquer.