i've got a bad case of the runs

How are you applying the paint? Air Spray rig or cans of paint? What I've always heard from people who do vehicle painting is to cover "a foot a second"... so keep it 10" to 12" away from the wood when painting.. and start painting off the wood and make a steady and slightly fast swipe across the guitars body from left to right.. then what I've had great success with is trying to paint directly in the middle of the paint outline.. this way you get a nice overlap... apply thin coats.. they may not look good at first but will later.. anyway good luck

i'm using cans, the main problem is when i try to spray around the edges of the top of just the sides, i get the same problem when varnishing, except thats using a brush

i'm using cans, the main problem is when i try to spray around the edges of the top of just the sides, i get the same problem when varnishing, except thats using a brush

what?

you lost me, you mean you're spraying the sides, and then the corners (edges) and then the top and back?

Sounds to me like you're just getting way to much paint on. When I spray a body, this is my steps for putting coats on

1. Spray all the perimeter (sides) in the horns and all around the body.

2. Spray the back, holding the gun 90degrees to the back (or can) but spray past all the edges so paint does get on them, but dont' spray onto the sides again.

3. Spray the front, same method.

4. go sit down for a while to let the paint flash (unless it's laquer, then you want to keep spraying)

5. Repeat steps 1 through 4

If you spray the sides, and then try to spray just the edges, you will get runs. Also, keep in mind that paint won't build up on the edge like it will everywhere else and remember this when you sand.

When I sand out a body, I don't touch the very edge unless there is a flaw. The buffing wheel will smooth and blend it perfectly without needing to remove actual paint with sandpaper.

That's very useful! Thanks!

:D

Good write up LGM... I'm still learning alot.. so the more people I can get tips from the better... I'll remember that the next guitar I paint... also.. I find that for me.. I paint better with the guitar either hung up with a string vertically... so i can see how that I can spray the front and back.. let it dry for a bit then hit the edges by laying it down flat.. I'll have to try that also.

see, I spray everything flat, I use a sawhorse with a board screwed on top of it. Then I have false necks in the bodies, I use a quick clamp to hold the bodies to the board, then I can spray and flip, spray and flip, spray and flip. The reason I do this is, with the Poly Urethane at least, it flows out wonderfully flat, and it avoids the build up along the edges that hanging tends to leave.

sorry, small typo :D

its meant to say 'i try to spray around the edges of the top or just the sides'