Fender Squire Series1,made In Japan.wats The Story

i have heard that the first versions of fenders squire series were made in japan and are fantastic, made to top standards, but this was pulled as they were too good, so they shipped the manufacturing of them to mexico and lowered the quality. is this true? as i know a guy here who is an absolute legend on guitar. not well known but is as good as any guitarist i ever saw. his name is Sheamie O Dowd, from sligo, ireland. he plays in a band called dervish. he does rory gallaghar and thin lizzy tributes and is unbelievable, if anyone ever heard of him. a guy of his ability should have an unbelieveable guitar, but it was strange to see him play a squire strat. he told me the story above, and one of his mates has the same type of squire. can anyone elabourate on this for me?

Only certain models started being made in asia, at first. It is probly a Strat. Oops, or Jazzmaster. As a pre-NAFTA move, the production of more models was allowed to happen in southern north america. Someone on this forum will know the exact timing of the production changes but I am sure the early asian models were a real piece of work! Also, if an axe works for you, don't screw with it or question its heritage.

Only certain models started being made in asia, at first. It is probly a Strat. Oops, or Jazzmaster. As a pre-NAFTA move, the production of more models was allowed to happen in southern north america. Someone on this forum will know the exact timing of the production changes but I am sure the early asian models were a real piece of work! Also, if an axe works for you, don't screw with it or question its heritage.

o im not putting any guitars down. i just wanted to know a bit more on the story that i heard and about these early japaneese squire strats that confirm to top spec. thanks. il have a look around the web for more info

Hi fguiheaven,

I've had few of those first Squires, they are the best of the jap ones..

I think it must have been the wood...very light

Hardware wise..they're ordinary...I think I put Duncans in mine...

Actually, the basses are even more amazing...my brother had a Precision...

really light...just like an L-series...when you put the body upto your ear it

had that real L-series tone in the wood...he put an EMG in it...

You can tell that model by the neck-plate..they all had 'JV' before the number

Plus I think the headstock said "Squire by Fender" with a smaller Fender logo

Cheers...hope you find one

Edited by mutronboy