ooopss.. might have a problem..

I started on the kit today.. and it said in the instructions that it was sealed and ready to be painted.. I was determined to build a template from the body.. so I handled the guitar body quite a bit... later on i used a tack cloth and wiped it down.. I figured no harm done... we'll here i was painting with the acrylic lacquer and it was going on great just as I had practiced so much... but I noticed that some parts looked like it wasn't drying and was shiny... I got to looking and it looks as if it was where I was handling the guitar.. guess it left some oil on the guitar from touching it.. I put 2 coats on it and will let it dry.. It's ashamed also because other than that the coats went on great... Does anyone have any advice on this situation... Hopefully it will dry out ok tomorrow and if not I'm hoping I can sand it down some and apply more coats tomorrow and see... If not I'm scared I might have to paint sandable primer over the paint job and start over.. Has anyone ever had this problem before.. thanks

Matt

We'll it didn't dry out right... I'm guessing what had happened is that since the guitar body was already sealed that the oil off our fingers just set up on top of the seal.. then when I painted.. it wouldn't dry at the places where fingerprints was... I also used a tack cloth to clean it off before I painted it.. so It might have been the tack cloth because it seemed like it was leaving residue on the finish.. not quite sure.. but I sanded it down early this morning and got to work.. Sprayed the body with Sandable Primer... and sanded between each coat until I had a smooth primer coat on.. then resprayed the body with Acrylic Lacquer about 6 coats.. sanding between each 3.. with a 400 grit the first time and 600 grit the second... the sprayed one more coat to bring back the color real good... things was looking better... I waited 3 hours then put a very light coat of clear lacquer (acrylic lacquer clear.. not nitrocellulose because I had just read that acrylic lacquer paints don't mix with nitro..) waited 10 minutes then put on another clear coat... I put on 2 more clear coats waiting longer each time.. since each are very thin layers and I'm going heavier each time I apply... It looks good so far.. tomorrow I'll put the finishing coats of lacquer on and let it sit.. now to work on the neck more.. still haven't got the nerve to try a stain on the neck ..so I'm going with a clear coat... btw what kind of tape do you guys use to tape top of the fretboard off with?

Hoepfully I'll have a pic later on of my first finish job... maybe I'll try the roller next.. lol

Matt

I just use standard masking tape, I'm not really into that blue painters tape for $1 more.........

Sometimes on the kits that are already sealed you need to actually buff the surface with some 800 grit because it is too smooth to begin with, that can cause the finish to look shiney right off the bat but since yours didn't dry chances are it was the oil.

Yeah that's what I'm thinking... what about tack cloth.. can it leave a residue? If not it's got to be the oil off our fingertips... when we was handling it... Yes, the kit was ultra sanded... lol.. but after I had to sand down the paint job because of spots that wouldn't dry and had four finger marks on the sides.. lol... I used sandable primer to seal it off again and used gloves this time.. because I didn't want to have to do it again.. I wasted 8 dollars worth of paint because the result wasn't good.. but it didn't matter about that, I just was glad they had some more paint at the parts store that was the same color I was using... :D So all in all it was a good learning experience.. one that cost me a days work.. but one I can learn from....

The place I work uses that blue Scotch tape for masking off before we paint a room or such... so If I'm understading you right I could use the blue tape... or the white tape... thanks for the tips... I just want to make sure I don't get any runs... because I'm planning on painting the top of the headstock blue also...

Matt