English Ash?

Hi, as anyone used English ash or heard of English ash being used as a solid body, im after a Strat type sound so im hopeing it will be someting like American Ash, can anyone let me know if the know anything about it or point me in the right direction?

cheers :D

Nah man, swamp ash is a completely different thing. Think about it, is there any swamps in england? seriously! English ash is used by quite a few small british builders, theres a strat made of it in a local custom makers shop, and it sounds exactly the bloody same as any other ash strat :D Go for it :D how about flamed sycamore tops? keep all the wood british B):P

English ash was a very favored wood in the 19th century for furniture because it was harder and could be worked by the old "spindle-turners" without tearouts on the old steam and water powered machines. I'll bet it is heavy, but I have not been able to find a definative density for it on the net. It is very much different than swamp or American. Use it for sure.

I've used English Ash a couple of times, it's quite heavy so I wouldn't recommend it for a large body shape but it should be a good choice for a Strat sound. You can get some nice looking English Ash, this is a HUGE flamed piece I brought a while ago...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v228/The...tboard/66_3.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v228/The...tboard/5d_3.jpg