The Final Stage of Finishing...

Ok guys I've gotten all the coats of primer, paint, and clear coat on the guitar.. it looks nice.. but has some really small dips all over it.. but nice and uniformed.. .. I hope this is how it should look after the last 3 coats of clear lacquer unsanded. lol.. if not I'm in trouble... Even so.... now I have to wait a week or more... till I can do the final stages of the finish.. fine sanding and polishing.. I can't wait for next weekend to see how it's gonna turn out.. I have a couple of questions about this last stage.... first off, Is it ok to put the guitar together a couple of days later and play it.. or will I really mess stuff up.. secondly, please tell me your technique to getting that final polish... sanding process... and also what kind of compound to buy and polish... I've heard 3m makes some great brands... Thanks

Matt

Matt,

The paint right now my be hard to the touch and even after a couple of days your looking and touching it saying ah a mircle happened my paint dried quicker then what those guys said :D then of course you start assembling it and see that the screws and neck plate are sinking into the paint, when you grab it hard the wrong way a fingerprint shows up that seems like it just won't rub off...........Trust us, wait it is well worth it unless of course your super rich and happen to have a UV drier in your walk in closet doing nothing B)

The surface should not really have any pit's or pockets at the final coat so what you might want to do is a little fine sanding with 1500 or so to smooth it out then add one final set of clear over it just to build up what you have taken off. When it's time to start buffing you have a world of options including "Finnesse" from 3m or the Stew Mac line. Just remember usually it starts out looking glossy , then turns a little dull when you first start out with the compounds but with a little elbo grease it becomes a fantastic shiney clear that looks and feels hard as nails when your done.

Thanks for the tips... guess I'll wait.. I figured that my luck would be such that if I put the pickguard on it.. it wouldn't come off.. lol... the only thing about it.. is that I live in a pretty hot climate.. so it just seems like it dries after one day... being in a 120 degree building during the day probably does help it dry alot faster... but also, the humidity is usually high all the time here.. so I have to wait for the right time to paint...

I'm gonna try to find some good compound and the 3m Finesse... I heard alot of good thing about that.. so maybe I'll have pics by the end of the week.. till then..

Matt