Neck Thru Iceman/parker Fly/006 Hybrid

Thanks Mledbetter, I Do not normally go for guitar that are weird shape but this seems to tickle my fancy :D Now check what Algae has come up withiceflydone.jpg

I am ordering the neck wood tomorrow and i think im going for Maple,bubinga,Padauk,bubinga,Maple in 1 inch, 1/4, 1/2, 1/4, 1 inch strips in that order. What do you think?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well...what can I say....PERFECTION:

Ibanez_Iceman_Korina_1977_2.jpg

IMO...the parker horns only work on the parker because of it's extreme contours and thin profie thereof...but then...that's just my opinion....

By the way...where were all you graphic guys around when I was trying to realise my reverse strat design...I'm still trying to get that right:

PSW's Reverse Strat Thread...

65 replies, 1200+ views and no graphics like these...want to do a mock-up anyone :D

Ok...so the parker/iceman isn't to bad...but it's still an abomination...parker with a back tip...and what's a 006 BTW (James Bond's second fiddle?). People who've seen my threads no that I'm not always so conservative but having drawn up a few iceman styled guitars I think the original always wins out for me. I would consider making an Iceman myself but I even think the long 3-a-side headstock design is necessary to the overall vibe...my fender styled necks (even the reversed) didn't seem to cut it...but thats me...Jester's last post suggested puting a scroll on the horn.... :D ... personally I think the thing is flamboyant enough!

But hey...my opinion for what it's worth...

Yeah...but consider how much better that paint would have looked on this

Ibanez_Iceman_Korina_1977_2.jpg

rather than this:

shamray1.jpg

Now I see that we're thinking laminated thru neck...imagine how good those stripes would look through on the first and how wrong it would look with the parker horns...I wouldn't even go beserk on the contours...the Iceman is pretty thin in the waist and really doesn't need it and may make it look even thinner and longer than it already is. The first models like this one were quite thick compared to some of the Paul Stanley ones BTW and had a rib cage carve on the back as I remember. The tele/explorer slab style actually suits it real life and with laminations down the centre it would look soooo cooool...think about it!

psw

Yes 006 is a bad version of James Bond But also a guitar made by Schecter.

006_bj_blk.jpg

I will probably alter the "final" design many time before i settle on something but i'm taking bits from each

I ordered wood today for the neck today. Some birdeye maple, bubinga, wenge and paduak. I wont use it all, ill pick and chose and get opinions.

Anyone know a good place to buy limba online or by phone in the UK? Craft supplies doesnt have any.

Don't get me wrong...all these guitars are special in their own way (though I still think the parker horns only really suit the whole parker concept) but I think the hybrid idea sucks.(no offence)

That said, toddler68's GOTM winner proves that you can borrow ideas successfully dispite initial doubts.

I guess I just like to defend the Iceman as an entity unto itself and is an ideal guitar to copy because it's relatively rare but has been around long enough and have so many variations that it can stand another version. But it is highly individual and has been around for 30 years so it's features are highly identifiable.

Variations on the shape will immediately scream iceman ripoff (check out Washburns Paul Stanley Signiture) rather than an attractive likeness...well that's my opinion...

Anyone know of any hybrid styled guitars that have surpassed a classic original?

I think some of you guys are maybe taking my iceman/parker Fly/006 Hybrid title a little too literally, I am borrowing ideas from all these guitar but what is original these days? Every thing thats a double cut with a top horn longer than the bottom can easily be said that its a little straty, Single cuts are all either les paul or tele like or a lot of variations on that theme. To me it seems it would be difficult to come up with an original design thats still comfortable and playable but without resembling anything you have ever seen before, An Iceman for example looks alot like a little explorer to me. I like the idea Skibum BTW, nice. I have only just ordered the fingerboard and neck lams today so the design is not set in stone at all, its set in thin air LOL. Anyway to a lighter note here is an ugly hybrid Here :D

Oh...I see this is all irony...OK

I suggest adding even more Icemanlike pinty hooks and a few on the peghead for good measure....

At least Jester's seen the light and is going for a beautiful flame top Iceman neckthrough and it sounds like it will be the envy of everyone if it turns out OK...cant wait

BTW the 006 looks just like a bound Ibanez Roadstar (like my brother's got)...nice

Right, My stew mac order arrived today here's what i got save going back a few pages.

DSC00028.jpg

1 - Adjustable Fret Slotting Saw Adjustable model #5317 (£13.74, £13.74)

3 - 3M Gold Fre-Cut Sandpaper 320-grit, 9" x 11" sheet #5098 (£0.51, £1.52)

2 - 3M Gold Fre-Cut Sandpaper 600-grit, 9" x 11" sheet #5100 (£0.51, £1.02)

6 - 3M Gold Fre-Cut Sandpaper 800-grit, 9" x 11" sheet #5101 (£0.51, £3.05)

13 - Abalone Dot Inlay 13/64" (5mm) dia. #0002-A (£0.33, £4.31)

4 - Wide Fretwire Wide/Pyramid, 2 ft #0158 (£1.99, £7.97)

1 - 8" Wooden Radius-sanding Blocks 16" radius #0418 (£8.47, £8.47)

1 - Scraper Blade Curved end, 2" x 6" #0628 (£3.30, £3.30)

2 - Side Dots, 3/32" (2.38mm) Abalone, set of 10 #0964-A (£3.59, £7.19)

1 - Spoke Nut Hot Rod 18" length #1016 (£10.21, £10.21)

1 - Blank Template 9-3/8" x 6" x 3/16" #1088 (£2.32, £2.32)

1 - Humbucker Pickup Routing Template #1094 (£3.06, £3.06)

2 - Natural Wood Bindings Curly maple #2022 (£1.49, £2.98)

1 - Radiused Fret Caul 16" radius #4373 (£2.37, £2.37)

1 - Router Bit For 0.200" Carbon Fiber Rods #4399 (£11.92, £11.92)

1 - Router Bit For Hot Rod Truss Rods #4599 (£10.98, £10.98)

1 - Fretting Hammer Hammer with plastic and brass faces #4895 (£8.80, £8.80)

2 - Carbon Fiber 0.200" x 1/4" x 18" length #4403 (£6.52, £13.05)

My neck woods should arrive any day now and i can get started, I am still looking for somewhere to get a bit of limba to make the body? Anyone.

:D:D

I was off work today so i got a chance to practice routing the truss rod channel and carbon fibre channnels.

DSC00001.jpg

Now i have a super tough corner shelf!

I have ordered my woods for the neck Lam. Birds eye maple, bubinga, wenge and paduak. Still not got body woods, i want limba but may have to go for mohog if i cant get it.

If anyone wants to design some headstock shapes, Great!