Inlay On Radius

Hi guys,

I've practiced inlaying on some "scrap" rosewood and I feel good about moving on to the real thing. :D However, the scrap piece is flat and now I'm going to start routing on a 10" to 16" compound radius fingerboard.

A few of the inlay pieces will span 1/2 to 2/3 the width of the board. Do I need to route for these differently to get them to sit flush in the pocket, or do I need to cut them into sections to better match the radius?

Or is it a non-issue? I haven't found any posts where this has been addressed.

Thanks for your input,

Mike

you would be better off using small pieces to fit into the routed pockets.

Also, block your fretboard/neck into a jig that will allow your router to ride level to avoid any problems with the radius.

Hi Mike.

This has been addressed.

You just need to make sure the shell is thick enough to not sand through, or use multiple small pices around the curves in the inlay. Look in the pinned area for a previose thread post on this.

C. Lavin

No special jigs or rigs are needed at all.

Hi Mike.

This has been addressed.

You just need to make sure the shell is thick enough to not sand through, or use multiple small pices around the curves in the inlay. Look in the pinned area for a previose thread post on this.

C. Lavin

No special jigs or rigs are needed at all.

Ah, there it is... I did read that one before, but got sidetracked with all the different opinions. As always, gotta read the entire thread.

The only affected pieces are those where I have long thorns attached to the vine. I'll cut them off and inlay them separate from the vine.

Thanks for the reminder, Craig. I think I'm good to go now :D

Mike

Make sure the part of the thorn that touches the stem will butt all the way up to the stem. If the cavities have different angles, the part on the bottom of the rout will touch, but there will be a gap at the visible part.

Thanks, yeah, I thought of that and I'll bevel the cut end slightly so it butts up flush with the vine.

Thanks for the input. :D

Mike