Input Impedance Of Amp

-lachy-

It depends to a huge extend on the amp but the rule with modern guitar amps is that they are all happy with hi-Z inputs. For preamp design, I would think you would be more interested in voltage and sensitivity. DR and that kinda stuff.

What kind of microphone are you trying to match? As crafty pointed out, anything marginally below a Meg or so should work fine, provided the levels are about right. Are you trying to adapt a balanced mic, or is it single-ended? If you can be a little more specific about your needs, I've probably got a design or two lying about that you can use as a starting point and tweak to your own specs. :D

Sounds like he just needs a DI box schematic. If you insist on building it, it shouldn't be too bad a project but the factory made ones are down to $29.00 thanks to some new one-chip preamp/gain thingy that is happy running on a 9 volt battery.

Point taken - but an impedance matcher is the matter of about 20 minutes of work and about $15.00 worth of Radio Shack parts (if you include the $8.00 Hammond box), and it can be optimized for the application in size, operating voltage, frequency response and headroom. To each his own, I suppose. :D