Improvising A Humbucker

elynnia

Hiyas,

I'm currently fixing up an old Strat-style guitar with three single-coil pickups, and I was wondering - as I heard that a humbucker is two single-coils arranged next to each other in some way - is it possible to improvise and make a humbucker out of two of these single-coil pickups without too much effort (I'm cutting a new pickguard, so that's not a problem), and if so, how should they be arranged/wired?

Thanks,

elynnia

If you take two identical single coil pickups, reverse both the magnetic and physical polarity on one of them and wire the pair in series, you'll have a humbucking combination. That's why a lot of Strat middle pickups are reverse wound, reverse polarity - when combined with a standard pickup, they cancel the hum.

If you take two identical single coil pickups, reverse both the magnetic and physical polarity on one of them and wire the pair in series, you'll have a humbucking combination. That's why a lot of Strat middle pickups are reverse wound, reverse polarity - when combined with a standard pickup, they cancel the hum.

ah, thanks.

But...how would I do that? >_<

elynnia

Hiya,

You mentioned removing the magnet...does that mean the six ciilindrical ones that go right under the strings, or is there another one?

Also, would the up/down orientation of this modified pickup matter, and after somehow sticking the two pickups side-by-side, how would I need to wire them so it acts as one humbucker?

thanks,

elynnia

If you wire a standard single coil and a RWRP single coil placed next to each other in series, the result will be a standard humbucker (although not necessarily one tha sounds good). As for rebuilding your pickups, I don't fool with it - there are too many good cheap pickups out there for me to bother making or modding my own badly. Do a forum search for pickup winding for info on how to roll your own ifyou don't get any more info here.

Be aware that the typical Strat PU has the coil wire wrapped right around the magnets. Thus if you press the magnet slugs out/in you can break the hair thick wire, resulting in a dead PU. It can be done successfully, just not a given that you won't break it.

So, a reverse wound center PU would cancel hum when it's in series with another pickup. How else does it affect the tone of the other pickup?

If I just wanted to reduce the hum on my Tele's single coils, could I wire in a reverse wound PU, bury it under the pickguard, and get something that still sounds like a Tele?

If I just wanted to reduce the hum on my Tele's single coils

Maybe, if it is just the hum you are trying to reduce, you should think about cavity sheilding. I don't know if you are dead set on a mod to the pickup or just wanting less "buzz" from the electronics. Adding sheilding foil to the pup cavities of my strat knock off made a huge difference in the amount of emi i heard when plugged in. Anyway that's all I've got to offer, Good Luck!!

Nate Robinson :D