Father's Day Gifts

javacody

I just got a 10" table saw from Lowe's that came with a stand and a blade. It's not top of the line, heavy duty, industrial, but I'm excited. If the guitar building thing doesn't work out for me, I can still use the saw for household type stuff. If guitar building does work out, I enjoy it, and I get good at it, well, I'll just toss this one and get a good one. It was only $80.

Also, picked up a mini-shop vac for dust control, a plastic faced hammer for fretting, and a mini jigsaw, all from my local Harbor Freight.

I'm getting excited, next I need a small drill press and a 12" tabletop bandsaw, then I think I will ready to start my first neck and square up the body I made with the jigsaw.

Anyone else getting anything good for father's day?

It's cheating but I know what I am getting. One of the truck drivers saw the music store three towns away putting a used Fender HotRod DeVille in the trunk of my wifes Caddy. I repaired it about 6 months ago and the customer abandoned it rather than pay the bill. I have been trying to buy it (cheap) from the store for the last couple of months. My wife. I think I'll keep her. HEY! They put a DeVille in a Seville!! What are the chances of that ever happening again?

Java, get yourself a top quality thin kerf blade for your saw and you will be very happy. Also for fathers day My wife agreed I could order parts for my new project from stew mac as my Fathers Day present ---- Yeah

Everyday of the year I get the greatest present anyone could ask for

...a caring, loving family! :D

...did that sound sincere enough to get me some good tools for Father's Day? :D

but seriously I have a great wife and kid who are very supportive of me and my hobbies B)

i got a new grandson a couple of weeks ago..not a bad father's day present in my opinion. :D

Java, he is right about the thin-kerf ground blade but don't throw the package it comes in away. Cut ya some cushion washers out of the cardboard sleeve it comes in and put one on each side of the blade when you mount it. Takes a bunch of the vibration out when you are doing a light feed.

I never thought of that (cardboard washers) what a great idea I always learn something here !!!!

I got a whole entire day to spend working on my bass proj...with 3 active kids, I've never done that!

Actually it's not today because the in-laws are in town...it'll be next weekend...assuming it doesn't get bumped from the schedule.... :D oh dear...oh no...NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the additional fathers day gift!

I just got a chance to try the saw. I need some rollers or something for ripping, but I just ripped a 36" long x 18" wide 8/4 rough cut Cedro board into a rough cut neck blank and crosscut two body blanks. My new saw worked like a charm! Now If I could just lay my hands on an inexpensive planer wide enough for a body blank!

I took my son camping yesterday at a cub scout camp. Man, it was a lot of walking in the heat and I'm pretty darn out of shape. We slept out under the stars though, and it was great spending time with my son. Then we hurried up and packed everything this morning so I could use my new saw. :D

Happy Father's Day!

Guess I missed this thread. :D

I spent the entire fathers day weekend at Soccer tourney's for two of my kids. I got Erlewine's Basic Fretting DVD (absolutely excellent btw), a couple of neck cauls and a 3D sander on my own request but the grandest gift of them all was a large hand made card by the middle kid using pic's and references from a book I read to her years before. The long short of this story is dads, don't do or be things you'll regret, be mindful because they do remember even the simples of moments that made an impact on their lives...darn it I'm getting misty again. :D

Edited by Gorecki

Well, I must quite sheepishly add that I did NOT get the DeVille I thought I was getting. I got a WalMart seatcover for my pickup truck. I need to quit putting such faith in rumors. I can't say that I wasn't disappointed but, to be honest, I don't think my ratty old truck needed a seat cover.