My First Go

Hiya, first off i wanna say thanks very much to so many people that took the time to put quality tutorials on this site.

I wanted to make a guitar with a small body to travel and to laze with on the couch. Im very very pleased with this guitar it sounds better than i could have hoped for too.

But the best thing by far is watching my friends playing it, to think it was all just a few lumps of wood not that long ago.

I call it plane Jane.

front.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b202/jimkelly/back2.jpg

that is so sweet man! :D

just a small guess,but do i detect a hint of les paul?lol

u need to show us more pics of the body conturing and back,it looks sweet,is it smaller than a normal guitar?as u said u wanted something to travel with?

Its great to get some good feedback thanks. lol it does look a little like a LP :D

The scale lenght is 25" so it feels smaller than my ibanez rg550. It just feels ligther, the body is just about the same size as a LP maybe a little smaller but with the carving on the back it feels light. Dont know about anyone else but i find L/P's a little uncomfortable, my stomach is getting bigger these days maybe thats the problem :D

The body is made from 2X sapele, the neck is a three piece mahogany laminate with maple strips between.

I did carve a little too deep so when i drilled the bridge posts, the tip of the drill came out the back of the body. I filled these in with ebony but im thinking about trying to get a couple of ying yang inlays to fill them in. I was going to say it was a clever way of knowing where the bridge post's were if i needed to get them out (but no one would have belived that anyway).

anymore pics?and what is the thickness of the body?would you say it was thinner?as u said it lighter than ur other les paul?or RG :s lol

i guess an easy way also to make a guitar lighter,is make it hollw,and add a 3/4 inch veneer over the top,like alid,yet there's unough wood for routing...if that makes sense,thats wat i was gonna do one day,make a smallish,travel guitar,and make it really light

Edited by whitey

Whitey, veneer by definition is very, very thin - standard is about 1/40", and 1/10" or so is very thick. 3/4" can't possible be called veneer. It would be better to say "add a top" rather than a veneer, but even then, 3/4" is much thicker than normal. 3/4" is almost half normal guitar thickness, and doesn't let you make deep enough chambers to make a difference. Standard top thickness is 1/4", although they're sometimes a little thinner or as much as 3/8" or 1/2".

What you've described is a very common practice called "chambering" a guitar, or making a guitar semihollow.

Edited by jnewman

The guitar body started out 44mm thick and at its thickest parts it still is (mainly around the edges), its hard for me to say how thin it is at its thinnest. I carved the middle to a dish like shape (the same as my tummy LOL).

You could make a nice semihollow travel guitar maybe with a spruce top ? Im sure it would work fine, a friend of mine has a guitar that has a semihollow body with a spruce top, im sure PRS makes them too. Maybe as my skills develope i might have ago too.

Anyway here are some more pic's.

Ive decided to take out the ebony fillers on the back and im gunna replace them with just sapele to hide the holes as best as i can (the ebony is unbalancing my maple inlay).

guitar5.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b202/jim.../guitarback.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b202/jim.../guitarside.jpg

I think the metal front is just a large, gorgeous pickguard. Notice it's just screwed on. It might add a little bit of shielding, but, I'd think any effect it had on the tone would be imperceptible.

Your guitar is like the Zemaitis, skinnier in the waist and wider in the hips than a Les Paul... baby got back! Very nice.

Oh yes, very Zemaitis, other than that, looks like we might have some ESP influences?

(BTW, for all you that don't know, Zemaitis is back, Tony's son has taken over the business)

Ive decided to take out the ebony fillers on the back and im gunna replace them with just sapele to hide the holes as best as i can (the ebony is unbalancing my maple inlay).

that's a shame. i thought the ebony actually complimented the maple quite well.

just glancing at the pic in the first post, i thought the guitar was pretty cool. i liked the thinner waist, but it didn't go much farther than that.

looking at the back shots, i love this guitar. that bowl carve is a really cool idea. is it comfortable?