Need Help Recording

maxxslipknot

Depends almost entirely on the amp but in most cases, if your soundcard is unbalanced-compatible (ie:generic) you shouldn't have a problem. If you have a modeling amp or anything with built-in effects, other than reverb, you should make sure the volume booger on the lower right of MY screen is turned damned near off.

The return input is one half of an effects loop, so you won't normally hear the amp's effects as well. It is usually at "line level", just like most soundcards' outputs, so you should be safe. Just make sure the volume on both is turned down first, then gradually turn them up.

Just out of curiousity-- are you intending to use your computer for FX, or what's the end goal?

Greg

I think the title suggests he wants to record with it...!!

Anyway...similar question...so, If I make up a lead to plug the output of my Korg AXG1 effects box into the input of the sound card and use a program like Audacity I should be right... I'll need a special mono to mini stereo jack lead, I guess...?

psw

Anyway...similar question...so, If I make up a lead to plug the output of my Korg AXG1 effects box into the input of the sound card and use a program like Audacity I should be right... I'll need a special mono to mini stereo jack lead, I guess...?

psw

so you want to go

guitar -> korg -> line in, and then record in whatever program you choose?

it'll work fine since your pedal has a preamp built in. all you need is a little 1/4" to 1/8" adapter that you can get at radio shack for about $2 and you're set. i actually have the same pedal and i'll use it from time to time the same way to make demos of songs at home.

Ah, but the topic DOESN'T say it. He wants something to come OUT of his computer and INTO the amp!

Title is

Need Help Recording

However he then confuses everybody by

i wondered if its safe to connect the audio out from my soundcard to my amp's return input

Which implys that he wants the sound from the computer to come out the amp... :D ...never mind.... :D

Yeah, I just want to demo the Sustainer for you guys...

So the input to the sound card is stereo right so I'd need a mono to stereo or stereo (the Korg might be stereo?) to mini stereo I guess...

I'll check it out...and give it a go....thanks...

psw

useless replies aside, thx to everyone and yes, i want to monitor the recording signal thru my amp cuz im working with mono and my computer speakers are good just not big enough to hear only from one side also i rather make it stereo at the end

BTW, if the send/return are effects loop then why cant i do an effects loop :D i tried

You have to press the 'on' button. :D

What sequencer are you using? Almost any of them will sum your stereo to mono so that you can hear through both speakers at once. If not, the 'company' I'm with makes 2 different products that will accomplish that task, for free. In VST format, though, so your host has to be able to use VST plug-ins.

Greg

Cool, Sonar kicks arse.

If you want some freebie VST, surf on over to BetabugsAudio and grab what you see on the plug-ins page. Either PhaseBug (which has a sum to mono for testing phase relations) or Moneo (which has a preset for summing to mono) will do the trick.

Gotta love the Sonar. I heard the VST wrapper is a bit flaky, but that's well worth it for a great app.

Greg

I've seen one being played and it looked quite fun. It's not exactly like playing a real guitar, but it bridges the gap between guitar and keyboard for those of us who are more comfortable with a guitar-like interface. :D

Hmmm...that's no longer a guitar you know...the frets are switches...cant bend strings or vibrato I assume...better off with a keyboard I suspect....

As for recording...simple adaptor, guitar lead from AX1G and it's all working fine...Audacity...which is free...has a simple mono control in the effects menu so no problem...thanks again...

pete