Gibson

Hello all,

I have a vintage Gibson electric guitar. I dont know what model it is, or what year it is, but I need to refinish a major area of this sunspotted guitar.

I cannot load a picture on here, because it is not on the internet, but it has maybe a 1.5 inch wide by 6 inch long area of the sunspot that you can see the wood. What should I do? I have heard not to refinish a vintage guitar. Also, it needs a bridge as well, do you have any ideas? Thanks.

revian

Most definately the first call of action would be to find out what it is.

I've got a "vinatge" acoustic that my girlfriend got me to mod. Even though it looked dodgy, I decided to research into what it was just on the off chance.

Would you believe it, it was worth............

..............about £12 :D

But the moral is still the same :D

Kaj

WOW

:D

ok how do I do that on this Gibson? It has 3 humbucker pickups, rosewood neck, and 4 knobs with the treble/ bass selector switch. What do you think about Gibson Gotoh tuners? I found some on ebay for this pup, because it is missing one of it's tuners.

Thanks

WOW

:D

ok how do I do that on this Gibson? It has 3 humbucker pickups, rosewood neck, and 4 knobs with the treble/ bass selector switch.  What do you think about Gibson Gotoh tuners?  I found some on ebay for this pup, because it is missing one of it's tuners.

Thanks

Firstly, look for the serial number. Its usually on the back of the headstock. Once you have this, check the Gibson Website and check it against the serial number info they have there. It will tell you the age and where it was made, tho this is not accurate by Gibson's own admission.

Secondly, what shape is it? Les Paul? SG? Firebird? V? Explorer? Those are the usual shapes Gibson makes

Lastly, be warned. "Vintage" guitars that have parts missing may be donor guitars for other "Vintage" guitars.