2 Pc. Vs. 3 Pc. Mahogany? Major Differences?

Right now, I have a problem. I was going to buy a 2 pc. Mahogany bottom to my 2 pc. Maple top from BRT guitars (brtgutiars.com), but they are out. It was a very cheap deal, and they offer 3 pc for 4 dollars less. How much will this effect tone, etc. Should I just hold out on the 2 pc. Or is there a cheap alternative site you can think of? I cannot find many sites with wood as cheap, and one site will not give me a response. Tell me waht you think of the 2 pc. vs. 3 pc. on the mahogany bottom, and if there will be any major effects. Thanks

The only effect will be you'll see two glue lines instead of just one. But depending on how well matched the pieces are, that might end up looking pretty nice.

Otherwise, I can't believe the effect on tone will be anything you or I could notice. Possibly a dog, because their hearing is more sensitive. Or a bat.

Actually if you think about it, a 3-piece should sound BETTER.

On a two piece guitar, the bridge straddles the two pieces of wood, which in theory can't possibly vibrate at exactly the same frequency.

But on a three piece guitar, the bridge and pickups and neck can all be housed in the central column (assuming that piece is wide enough, of course). So the effect would be similar to a neck through. Hell, you should end up with more sustain, right?

Of course, if the central piece isn't wide enough, then your neck and bridge might end up straddling all the three pieces....

But like I said, it probably doesn't matter one single bit...especially since you're putting a cap on there anyway.

So what it comes down to is what YOU really want --and if your heart is set on a two-piece body, then hold out for that. If you start compromising now, you'll always look at this guitar as a compromise, not your dream guitar.

it's solid? the only difference should be asthetic assuming it's joined well. i made a blank for a les paul out of 5 pieces because i wanted it thick like the old specials. the boards were joined so well that the joints were almost imperceptable. what it really comes down to(with me) is how well they match up the grain of the boards, do it right and no one will ever notice it but you.

*EDIT* too slow with the submit post button i guess, :D *EDIT*

Edited by thegarehanman

Very true, thanks a lot, I guess it would be fine to get the three piece. If I do use the 3 pc idch, I don't think that it would effect it at all because it would be the top maple that everything is resting on, So I guess as long as it's joined well, it really doesn't matter. I'll call BRTguitars and order it. If anyone has had problems with BRT, please tell me, but otherwise, I'll just order.

EDIT: I just talked to the BRT guy. I can get either a 3pc. mahogany for $36 or 2 pc. Curly mahogany for $55. I'm not sure if I should get the curly to make my guitar look nicer :D or if I should just stick with the cheaper 3 pc. I guess that the tone will not differ between the two, and I probably wouldn't see the Curly Mahogany too much, so I guess it's better to save the money. Please keep commenting

Do you think I should get the curly or 3 piece?

Edited by Roadhouse Blues

Do you think I should get the curly or 3 piece?

Well, if it was MY guitar, it wouldn't have a maple cap at all...it'd be a flat top...in which case, I'd go for the fancier mahogany. But that's only if it were my guitar.

As long as you're putting a cap on it, there's no point in getting fancy-pants wood...

And one more question, What would you suggest my thicknesses be for the woods. I'm buying the maple top at 3/4" seasoned and surface planed. I'd say either 1" or 1 1/4" for the mahogany, but I'm not sure which would be best. I know 2 " is the thickness of my strat, and the guitar I'm building will not need a trem cavity. Main idea, should I go with 1" or 1 1/4"???

Edited by Roadhouse Blues

IF you don't need a trem cavity, I'd personally be tempted to go with 1" to keep it nice and thin overall. Just make sure you have enough depth to install all your electronics, too.

Greg