Question About Maple Source

Hi folks I'd like to know if there are differences beetween American Hard maple and balkans Hard maple. I can buy it locally and it's from balkans. But I can buy it from USA and don't pay shipping :D So if there isn't a qualitative and tonal difference I would go for the Balkans one. More quickly way. What do you know about?

Thanks everyone

Gian

Thats a hard question to answer because I don't know what Balkans Hard Maple is. Check to see if the species is the same. If the species is the same you would just have to look at the area (climate) it is growing. That said Hard Maple grows in different climates in the states also, so that is always going to be a variable. No two pieces of wood are the same. Even if they are the same species. If it where me I would go look at the wood locally. Talk to the people selling it and try to get some information from them. Tap it and listen to it. Feel how heavy it is. Look at its pour structure. Study the pieces to see if you can find quartersawn pieces that will suit your need ( or flat if that is what you are after). Find out if it is well dried material or if you will have to dry it ( it is a good idea to allow for time to allow the wood to adjust even if it is well dried). You will do better if you hand select the wood. You will just have to learn about it so you know what to look for. If you buy wood sight-un-seen be sure you trust the dealer to give you what you are looking for. Hows that for a round about answer.

P.S. Your knowledge of wood is and being able to select pieces is half of building guitars. You should really spend the time to understand the material you are building with.

Peace, Rich

What you say is fine, but unfortunately there is no local dealer here. It's North Italy, I'm in South. I'd like to know how choose wood but I can't here. I will try to look at the specie first. From picture it seems very nice and a lot of people order that one. I will try to ask directly to the dealer.

:D

Gian

I can only go by my exposure to Bulgarian Maple, which might be the same. It is not quite as hard, usually has more dark steaks in it and looks its best (IMHO) when bleached. An excellant wood for necks or, in my experience, hardwood tiebars for syclebar mowers. Tough stuff. Used to use hickory for the mowers until the ends started splitting where the bolts went through.

Yes if it's bulgarian is that specie of maple. So you found it isn't quite hard as the American one. I just seen that a lot of european violas, celloes and violins are made of.

I think I will go for the Acer Saccharum.

:D

Edited by gun