Paint Guitar Neck

I was wondering if it would be ok if i painted the back of my project guitar neck. my agile les paul has the back painted but i was also wondering if there is anything i should do while doing this.

first thing to do is mask off the fretboared then go get urself a can of primer

spray it allover the back of the neck in the appropriate way and wait for it to dry

then sand down any bumps

next spray on your coulor in thye appropriate way and wait for i to dry

and then start to lacquer it up, this take ages to dry though so be prepared to wait

Dude do not put too much in the connecting joint, depending on whether you have a bolt on or not, if you do the preferable amount is none so try and mask off just the invisible bit, the part you cant see when its in the socket.

• 2 weeks later...

also i probably would go easy on the finish/lacquer, as you know could probably ruin how fast the neck is

Dude do not put too much in the connecting joint, depending on whether you have a bolt on or not, if you do the preferable amount is none so try and mask off just the invisible bit, the part you cant see when its in the socket.

That depends. When I bought a neck pocket template from StewMac, it was intentionally sized a bit larger to accommodate a heavy layer of paint in that area, and I had a real fun time trying to make it smaller to accommodate a tung oiled neck.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about getting paint in that area. If it's a problem, it's sandpaper time. Your guitar, your choice.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
would u guys have any suggestions on how i should paint my pickgaurd then beacuse i have a strat style pickgueard and i want the whole body painted. thatnks for all of the help so far.

Here's how I painted the pickgaurd on my EVH. First I disassmbled everything from it. I then sanded the whole thing with 400 grit sandpaper, and a hard block. I made sure everything was dead flat. At this point, you spray an "adhesion promoter". Follow the directions on the can. Then, spray your basecoat, color coat and clear it and buff :D

The same techinques that apply to painting a body apply to this. www.reranch.com

Edited by AlGeeEater