Laney Combo Amps

Jivin

Hi there,

Im looking at picking up a tube combo sometime in the near future, and I am after one that has a fair bit of chug about it. 3 Channel with a EQ controls on each would be nice, but its not an absolute necessity.

I noticed a music shop that I quite like (but usually doesnt carry a good enough range to be really useful) deals in Laney equipment, so I did a bit of checking and it appears the TT40 might be a good one for me, but it also appears it is going to cost me $2700AUD.

Does anyone have any opinions on this amp? Id be very keen to hear them, as while I try and find somewhere to try one out I am looking around trying to guage if they are worth such a large sum of money. For the same amount I could get the Marshall TSL122 tube combo which is a 100w 2x12... but I didn't really need that much power you see.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

- Dan

Dont bother with the TSL 122 they break constantly, it the one that breaks the most. I know i return them to mashall all day. I wasnt aware that there was a TT40. I owned that TT20 a few years ago. The TT50 is a good all rounder, not for scooped metal but great for everything else. Have u tried hughes and Kettner?

Indeed it is the TT50, sorry about that :D

Not good for scooped metal eh? Well that is a road I like to go down so I guess ill scratch that, especially for $2700.

No I have never checked out Hughes and Kettner, but I will look into them now - thanks for the suggestion dude.

- Dan

Edit: Ok I actually was walking by the local shop when I was getting the mail and they had a H&K Duotone sitting in there, so I gave it a shot. It was nice, but no dice I think. If I have to, I dont mind running my GT-6 through it for distortion, but I would rather something that can hold its own and get some better chug on its own.

What about the Marshall TSL601/602 models? Are they known for being equally unreliable? Becuse Almost all of my options are being ruled out haha. Perry suggesed a bloke locally to him in Western Australia who apparently makes really killer tube amps for great prices (for the time being at least until he raises his prices), and ive heard good things about the Carvin tube combo's, but the problem is that I can't hear either of them before I buy, and Id like to know for myself that they have the balls I require :D I hear a lot of people say (especially on harmony central) that an amp has "SSOOO MUCH DISTORTION LOLOL" and when I try it for myself its a bit weak...

Yeah i had checked out Ashdown, but they are fairly hard to get here, and the one place I did find wasnt local at all and the guy i spoke to was a real idiot :D Also I am a bit weary of going for anything that is advertised as being made for downtuning and 7 strings and lots of bass :D

I am really seriously turned on by the look of Genz Benz though... I am doing my research on them now and im hearing nothing but good things, so I might see what I can get in their range (the 60w combo looks good). As usual though, the dealers listed for Australia dont appear to have anything to do with them lol. Looks like I might have to import and get the power converters ect.

Is there any special issues I need to be aware of with tube amps when it comes to importing to a region with different power standards?

- Dan