Capacitors In Jg Stang Type Guitar

Tarquinius

I recently bought this mustrang/jag stang type guitar with two single coil pick ups and two sliding switches. I got a wiring diagram off of seymour duncan and it seems to go pretty well with my guitar as of now, but i have one question.

If you click the link below it will bring you to the diagram and help you understand better.

Wiring Diagram

On one of the audio pots/shafts at the bottom you see what i guess is a capacitor (if it isnt, please inform me otherwise) and it says " .05 mfd"

I checked all these onling guitar part stores and i dont see a .05 capacitor.

Help?

I recently bought this mustrang/jag stang type guitar with two single coil pick ups and two sliding switches. I got a wiring diagram off of seymour duncan and it seems to go pretty well with my guitar as of now, but i have one question.

If you click the link below it will bring you to the diagram and help you understand better.

Wiring Diagram

On one of the audio pots/shafts at the bottom you see what i guess is a capacitor (if it isnt, please inform me otherwise) and it says " .05 mfd"

Help?

closes iv found is 0.047uf on axes'r'us http://www.axesrus.com/axeknobs.htm

Wiring Diagram

Help?

what would happen if i subsitute that one for a .05, anything..dangerous, damaging?

Wiring Diagram

Help?

what would happen if i subsitute that one for a .05, anything..dangerous, damaging?

nothing dangerous i dont think

wait for other peopl eto reply but i dont think it wil

there isnt enough tonal shift in that to do any real damage sonicly. most people can't hear thference anyway.. the formula to find the freq range is.

f=1/(2Pi*R*C)

or you can go to muzique.com and use their filter

http://www.muzique.com/schem/filter.htm

it comes out to less than 1% difference.

there isnt enough tonal shift in that to do any real damage sonicly.  most people can't hear thference anyway..  the formula to find the freq range is.

f=1/(2Pi*R*C)

or you can go to  muzique.com and use their filter

http://www.muzique.com/schem/filter.htm

it comes out to less than 1% difference.

heh im not mathmatically gifted...

so does that mean a .047 could work in place of a .05? if so, what are some of the possibilites of damage or affects

Yeah, pop in a .047 you won't know the difference. Whats the deal? No cap in the guitar at all when you got it? They are exrtremely cheap and you might want to experiment with other capacitor values. The .022 is what Fender usually uses with their single coil equipped guitars. But the .047 (.05) w/ single coils might be the trademark sound for the 'stang, I don't know. And don't worry about using different values, experiment for yourself and see (or hear) what you prefer. You won't blow up your guitar or otherwise damage anything. :D

If you have more questions, there is TONS of info in this forum. Just click the search button and type in "capacitors".

Edited by Southpa