Bass Chords

Primal

I'm wanting to work on my bass chord comping, but I have no idea what to actually play. I know basic bass chords like:

G|--14--|

D|--14--|

A|-------|

E|--14--|

and

G|--14--|

D|--13--|

A|--14--|

E|-------|

But, I don't think that those two chords will get me far. Anyone know of any other jazz type chords that could be voiced in a bass?

I play the 1-5 (eg; G D)or the 4-8 (eg; C g) a lot for a good rythym groove. Just make up a rythym or play to a good staggering drum beat and the rythym will find you. I use a computer drummer that has several different styles of music at the click of a mouse.

I play the 1-5-8 (G D g) to get a "happy" or "marching" beat depending on the cadence and groove you play. Strum it or try picking it in a 1,5,8,5 for a bum-ba-dee-da sound and after 30 seconds you'll find different picking patterns that won't drive you crazy like that one does :D

Play the 1-4-8 (eg; G C g) for a good droning or sad sound.

Try the 1-3-7 for ballads or a melancholy sound but remember it is difficult to play this in the first 3 positions or so for most people. I usually play it an octave up on the board so it's easier on the pinky.

The fingering is pretty much the same all over the board and obviously can be moved into any key by shifting your fingering.

Hope that's what you were looking for.

Edited by bluespresence

I was thinking about this and I just want to clarify you are talking about "strumming" chords where you play all the notes at once correct? Since most bass is one note at a time I wanted to make sure because that's what I meant the above chords for. You can obviously pick them note by note but they all blend when strummed also.

For some killer stuff liten to Flea from the Chili Peppers. He is best known for his funk slap stuff but he does throw down some mean jazz chords in a lot of their songs if you listen closely.

Yea, sorry I didn't reply earlier. I usually do something like this (original I wrote):

G|------15--------15-----------15------------15-------------|

D|------15--------15-----------14------------15------------o|

A|---------------------------15------15----------------------o|

E|--15-----15-15------15----------------12-------12--13----|