I Need A .05 Mfd Capacitor

Tarquinius

I need a .05 MFD Capacitor for this awkward guitar set up (Wiring diagram included at the bottom). Somebody has shown me a .047 capacitor but I don't know what potential risks there are for that.

Thank You

Wiring Diagram

Two things: first of all, .047 is 6% off of .05, not less than 1% :D.

A .05uF capacitor is actually sort of a .047uF capacitor anyway. Capacitors and resistors come in funny numbers that aren't even in the least that fill some sort of statistical distribution curve. The tolerance for said capacitors is centered on those numbers - numbers like .047uF. In a tight-tolerance capacitor (5-10%), the capacitor is marked as .047uF because the tolerances are more important. Most capacitors, however, have a +-20% (or worse) tolerance, in which case it doesn't really matter, and they're just marked at a value rounded to .05 because the extra significant figures would have no meaning at such low tolerances.

That .05uF capacitor could have a value anywhere between .04uF and .06uF and still be within tolerances - which easily includes .047uF. There are situations where you need more accuracy than that, but a guitar tone setup isn't one of them.

Any particular reason why you felt that you needed to start another thread on this subject? Didn't you like the answers you got in the last one? I'll cut you some slack because you're new around here, but it's generally considered bad practice to open more than one thread with the same question (and this is the same question, asked and answered). This is not a slam, just a gentle hint - there's no need to defend your position, and certainly no reason to consider yourself put upon. :D

Two things: first of all, .047 is 6% off of .05, not less than 1% :D.

A .05uF capacitor is actually sort of a .047uF capacitor anyway. Capacitors and resistors come in funny numbers that aren't even in the least that fill some sort of statistical distribution curve. The tolerance for said capacitors is centered on those numbers - numbers like .047uF. In a tight-tolerance capacitor (5-10%), the capacitor is marked as .047uF because the tolerances are more important. Most capacitors, however, have a +-20% (or worse) tolerance, in which case it doesn't really matter, and they're just marked at a value rounded to .05 because the extra significant figures would have no meaning at such low tolerances.

That .05uF capacitor could have a value anywhere between .04uF and .06uF and still be within tolerances - which easily includes .047uF. There are situations where you need more accuracy than that, but a guitar tone setup isn't one of them.

hey i didnt say that it was a guy on the other post

Just in case after two threads, you still don't have enough advice, I'll chime in and agree with the other posters. Get yourself a 0.047uF cap. As you may have noticed, 0.5uF caps are in short supply. What do you think everyone else does?

By the way, welcome to the forums.