Someone Asked About Neck Thru...

which went like this

"A question:

my dad has a neck-thru guitar, and i have a Neck-thru bass

It atleast looks like 1 piece of wood. But a friend of mine (who is good at guitar)

Says, that only Baritones are 1 piece and that neck-thru designs, are 2 pieces, made like 1 pieces.

Any1 knows the true awnser on this question??

(my dad (wich plays more than 40 years guitar) just thinks its 1 piece, and doesent believe in 2 pieces made as 1)"

doesnt a neck thru have to be made from 3 pieces :D

There is no relationship between the two. A baritone is just a guitar with a longer than normal scale length (26 1/8 - 27") and heavier strings, tuned B thru b, giving the guitar a deeper voice. A neckthru is a continuation of the neck wood through the body to the butt of the guitar with 2 body wings attached on either side. So there is no actual neck joint like on a bolt on or set neck (mortice and tenon joint). You can build a baritone using any of the mentioned neck styles.

Edited by Southpa

Also, not sure which part of the guitar he was referring to with the 1- and 2-piece thing, but a neckthrough is generally made of 3 or more pieces of wood-

At least one for the neck and the "through" part of the body, and 2 more for the "wings" that attach and form the rest of the body.

A 1-piece guitar is probably a pretty rare thing. I've never seen one, though obviously it's possible to do and I'm certain that people MUST have made them before if only to satisfy personal curiousity. :D

Greg

making a neckthru with only two pieces is impossible isnt it? since the neck has to, of course, go through the body and if you have two pieces, you would have to cut the body part in half and then you would have 3 woulndt you?

making a neckthru with only two pieces is impossible isnt it? since the neck has to, of course, go through the body and if you have two pieces, you would have to cut the body part in half and then you would have 3 woulndt you?

Im not sure, but I was thinking you could extend the neck pocket on a regular guitar all the way to the bottom, then make your new longer neck the same thickness as the old one and glue it in your new slot. That would be neck thru sort of.......the hardware would mount to the neck wood.

Come to think of it, I don't see why you couldn't do that if you had a too-thin neck blank to begin with. I can't think of many reasons to do this on purpose, but if it was due to the materials available at-hand, there's no reason it wouldn't work. There would be more surfaces that would have to be "perfect" to get a seamless look, but in theory it'd work!

Greg

A 1-piece guitar is probably a pretty rare thing.  I've never seen one, though obviously it's possible to do and I'm certain that people MUST have made them before if only to satisfy personal curiousity.  :D

Greg

On the italian ProjectGuitar site, progettochitarra.com, there is one in the gallery. Look here, it's the very first one, made out of one piece of Paduak.