Martin Acoustic Is Splitting!

MartinD15SNeckJoint.jpg

thats not my guitar, but u know how theres 2 pieces of wood sandwiching the countoured wood (newb language) its starting to split, i think it JUST got there for some reason, should i dab a wood glue all around where its splitting? it seems i can pry apart the wood fairly easy with the splitting already started

how could this have happend? how do i prevent this from happening>

Temperature/humidity changes, wood expands/contracts and glue joint dries a bit then all it takes is a little bump. Joints will also fail if the guitar (or components) are made with wood that still has moisture. When it finally dries out it will move causing internal stress on glue joints.

Find a very thin blade and gently pry the affected area apart just enough to get some yellow carpenter's glue, "tite-bond" or other wood glue inside. A small syringe works well. Then use padded clamps to hold things together (not too tight), wipe off any glue that squeezes out with a damp cloth and wait overnight. Try to spread your clamping pressure over the entire split area. Clamping on only one spot will make a "pinch" point and result in an uneven edge.

Edited by Southpa

How old is the guitar? I would think Martin would stand behind it if it is only a few years old (I don't know what Martin's warranty is). Southpa's suggestion will work but if it were mine I would take it to a Martin dealer ASAP and see if they will fix or replace it for no charge before I touched it.

how do i prevent this from happening

In case you've overlooked the obvious solution, if you live in a dry climate, use an acoustic guitar humidifier to keep your guitar above 45% relative humidity. And put a hygrometer (humidity sensor) in your case to monitor it. Don't over-humidify it either though.

How old is the guitar? I would think Martin would stand behind it if it is only a few years old (I don't know what Martin's warranty is). Southpa's suggestion will work but if it were mine I would take it to a Martin dealer ASAP and see if they will fix or replace it for no charge before I touched it.

Martin have the best warranty in the world... life time, not yours, the instruments. If its still alive or dead, its warranteed.... inc neck resets.

Edited by rhoads56

Martin have the best warranty in the world... life time, not yours, the instruments. If its still alive or dead, its warranteed.... inc neck resets.

Thanks for that info Perry. I figured it had to be a good warranty but I could not find it on the Martin site. All it says there is basically "you have a warranty and read the card that came with the guitar to see what it is".

I think you have your answer right there Elton....take it in (or have your friend take it in) and get it taken care of at the Martin dealer.

Edited by bluespresence

Never known Martin or any other company to actually sell their seconds. Through their Guitarmakers Connection, yeah, as parts, clearly marked as such, but nothing else.

Bring it to an Authorized Martin Repair place, and see what they'll do. DO NOT fix it yourself, because you will void the warranty on the thing.