Pro Tracks Plus

duo2

I just installed pro tracks plus onto my computer to use with my Digitech GNX4. The problem I'm having is that it is recording the guitar without the effects. So when im actually laying down a track im hearing the distortion and the chorus and so on and so on but when i finish recording and i go back to listen to the track the effects are not there. I'm hoping some of you computer geniuses can help me out. Any help is greatly appreciated.

It's going to be a setting on your GNX4 somewhere. I'm completely unfamiliar with the unit, but any number of things could be happening. First step:

How is the unit connected to the computer? USB cable? Patch cord?

How is the computer connected to the speakers? Is the unit connected to its own speakers/headphones and the soundcard is connected to a different set of speakers?

Greg

Just had a quick look-- you're probably using the USB connector, which means that the DSP engine in the unit is probably capable of sending only the clean signal on one channel, and the dirty signal on the other. You're monitoring the dirty signal but recording the clean channel somehow.

I'd have to know which connectors go where on your particular setup before I could give you further detailed advice; however, you will also need to read the manual of your unit to find out how to switch between clean and dirty signal on each channel.

FWIW, it's often desirable to do what you're doing, so remember it. :D You can re-amp a clean signal (change the distortion and effects if later you decide you want to) but you can't re-amp a dirty signal.

The best thing you can do for yourself is record BOTH at the same time, which should be possible since the unit can stream up to 4 signals to the computer. Then, you simply mute the clean one in Pro Tracks until you decide you want to use it. Or, if you're handy with computers you can delete the clean track from your 'screen' but keep it in the project folder so that you can use it later if you need to.

The clean signal can also come in handy for a bazillion other things-- if your part is lacking a certain clarity or punch, blend a bit of the clean back into it. This is how Voodoo Labs' acclaimed "Sparkle Drive" pedal works, by blending clean and dirty signal. Or, even if you're happy with the dirty track, you re-amp the clean one for a SECOND dirty track with slightly different EQ, distortion, etc... which can really thicken up a guitar part especially for heavily-distorted genres.

Greg