Piezo Pot Value

Pr3Va1L

Depending on the piezo pickup used, it can have as high an output impedance as a few Megs, which is huge. You need a 10 Meg pot at least, I'd say.

That being said, I really advise against using piezos passively. Given their output impedance, the losses along the cable is usually unacceptable. But you can try and see if that's ok with you. Whatever floats your boat... :D

Definitely go for a preamp. Search the forum for the Tillman preamp/buffer. There have been several discussions about it, and I've used it with no problems. It doesn't really matter if you use a pot big enough (like the 5M or 10M that have been mentioned), because as soon as the high impedance signal hits your low impedance cable, your signal is going to deteriorate.

If you're planning on using the MIMF preamp as designed, you don't need a volume pot for the piezos - there's a blend pot in it that allows you to mix as little (or as much) of each pickup set into the final signal as you like, and a volume pot to set the output level of the mix. If for some unknown reason you simply must have a pre-buffer volume pot, a 5 Megohm audio taper will do the trick, but as I said, it's redundant in this particular application.

Edited by lovekraft

The blend pot takes the place of two volume pots - why on earth would you not want it? :D Still, if you don't want a blend pot, why not just use the ( or a pair of them - one for piezos and one for magnetics), and use whatever volume pot you choose after the preamp, as was previously suggested (you can go a slow as 50K with no worries).

It makes no sense to "devolve" the MIMF preamp to do less than it was designed to do when there are plenty of simple ciruits (that haven't been painstakingly optimized for a particular job) to use in less sophisticated applications. If all you need is a clawhammer, you don't grab the precision micrometer, even if the weight is about right to drive your nails. :D

whoa triple post !!! lol

anyways, I want a volume for each pickups... so 2 volumes anyways, so why have a blend pot

The reason for using the MIMF preamp is because i want to BLEND the 2 outputs! I plan on trying to modify it to be able to blend it AND have it stereo...

But anyways... the tillman won't blend the outputs so i'm stuck with the mimf preamp.

That's the cool thing about being a Mod - you can clean up your messes! :D

A simple 3PDT toggle switch will remove the blend pot from the circuit and reroute one of the signals for stereo outputs. FWIW, the blend pot in the MIMF preamp is blending the preamp outputs (that output stage is just a summer for blending the two preamps). You're re-inventing the wheel, but I guess that's your prerogative. Good luck with it! :D

i'm sorry i'm just BAD with electronics... I'd need to learn that stuff someday...

anyways, it seemed to me (from the schems and some talk in mimf forums) that the signals got transformed a bit after going through the blend pot... mixed togheter using a JFET, no?

What if I choose to use a blend pot, could I still switch it somewhat?