This is a distress call to anyone who can help.

I have just bought a pretty cheap guitar, plays lovely...nice neck, tones etc. It is a Marlin Strat copy.

Thing is, because i got it so cheap i want to pimp her up. The main thing i want to do is paint it (not artwork, just a new colour) and put a new scratchplate on.

Could anyone please help me?

ok, basically you unscrew the pickguard after taking off the strings and depending on the length of your wires simply flip it onto the body. if you can't, unsolder it from behind the jack plate and from the claw at the back.

Painting has been covered and you can find all the info by searching and using the main site www.projectguitar.com and go to finishing.

You can use basically anything to paint her but their are a few standard ways that most people use, you can also find them searching. I painted my guitar with spray cans.

Last of all exactly what other mods do you want to make, im sure people here will help you with specific things

Edited by Deja

ok, basically you unscrew the pickguard after taking off the strings and depending on the length of your wires simply flip it onto the body. if you can't, unsolder it from behind the jack plate and from the claw at the back.

Painting has been covered and you can find all the info by searching and using the main site www.projectguitar.com and go to finishing.

You can use basically anything to paint her but their are a few standard ways that most people use, you can also find them searching. I painted my guitar with spray cans.

Last of all exactly what other mods do you want to make, im sure people here will help you with specific things

Hey Deja, thanks for reply.

Firstly, dumb question probavly, is the pickguard the scratchplate? andsecobdly do i need to remove the neck to paint...or can i mask?

The pickguard is the scratchplate and don't let music shop owners look at you like a retard when you say the other one, they did it to me.

Remove the neck, it will save so much hassle that you might as well its very simple, just unscrew the 4 screws and take it off

beat me to it frenzy!!!

Edited by Deja

If you plan to repaint the entire body then take EVERYTHING off. Unscrew all cover plates and unsolder/unscrew all the "innards". Plain and simple. Just remember how it goes back together when finished. :D If you need advice on prepping and painting your guitar spend a few WEEKS reading the forum archives first.

Edited by Southpa