Sand Or Polish

Hi,

I'm new to the forum and am in the process of finishing my first guitar.

I am to the point of polishing the clear coat but, after doing so have found that there are still scrathces in the finish.

My question is, am I better to go back and resand the finish or should I use a coarser compound?

My sanding procedure was, 400 / 600 / 1000 (no 800 available) and then I polished with a fine polishing compound.

Thanks,

Rob

:D

Thanks for the responses.

Actually, these scratches are larger than the ones from the compond (which I will remove with swirl remover) so, I'm looking for advice as to which would be more effective in removing the deeper ones.

A coarser rubbing compound or sand with 1000 grit and start the polishing process over again.

Thanks,

Rob

:D

Edited by gplayer50

it's possible he's seeing the fine compound scratches but on last lacquer coat I woundn't strat with 400!!! Also he stopped to 1000, not up to 2000.

As Devon said, try to get the swirl remover and apply it. If you can still see the scratches I would wipe down the body with naptha and apply another 2 o 3 coats of lacquer, then start to 1000 up to 2000, then fine compound and swirl remover. Finer grits take longer but you have a more free scratch surface.

it's possible he's seeing the fine compound scratches but on last lacquer coat I woundn't strat with 400!!! Also he stopped to 1000, not up to 2000.

That's what I tried to point out. Before my last lacquer coat I sand the entire body dead flat with 400, spray on or 2 more coats(depending on orange peel) and THEN start sanding with 1,200. Most fine cut compounds remove 1,2000 grit scratches though.

gplayer50, I think if you sand the body back down with 1,200 or 1,500 and repolish you will get those scratches out.

Edited by AlGeeEater