Wood For A Top..

Most (but not all...) table saws will cut only 3-1/4 inches high max, which means you can bookmatch a piece 6-1/2 inches wide to get you a 13" top. But you will lose some of that 13" width planing down the edges where you will glue the bookmatch (if they are not planed already). So, if the width of your axe fits inside those boundaries, then you're good to go.

Also remember that the kerf of the saw blade will take away 1/8" or so from the thickness, and even more since you'll have to flip and saw the piece twice (and you won't catch the exact center along the entire length). Then consider that you'll have to plane down the faces of the boards to get a good glue surface and same thickness for both sides of the book. So, from a 3/4" piece you're probably looking at a 1/4" top in the best case, could easily get thinner if the sawing is sketchy or the board is not dead straight.

"like would it be noticalbe through the paint?"

That depends alot on how good the glue up and flattening process goes, imo. But if you were to use slabs that were 3" wide, you wouldn't have to flip the board to finish the cut. That might save you some time flattening out the new cap. But I am new to this as well, so I may be missing something that might cause problems.

At any rate, good luck!

Nate Robinson

Hughes, the idea of splitting wood into layers like that was discussed elsewhere --the upshot was that it ain't gonna work or it's not worth it.

Maybe with a bandsaw, you'd be able to split that maple, but even still...you'll have a real hard time keeping things straight. There are specialized machines for doing this.

Even if you succeed in splitting the wood and salvaging two useable pieces, you'll still have to figure out how to get them to be exactly the same thickness...which means more specialized machines, or a steady hand and eye (see Setch's thicknesser jig).

Here's what I'd do: set that piece of maple aside for your next project (sounds like a nice piece of wood) and get the appropriate wood for your new project.

Since you plan on painting it, you can go for lower grade wood--much cheaper than figured wood. I bought an alder block for 20 euros at one point, all glued up and ready to go. Not pretty to look at, but it'll look fine under paint. I just found another guy selling Cameroun mahogany for 40 euros.

It's difficult to switch gears like that mid-way, especially if the projects are so dissimilar.

still have to figure out how to get them to be exactly the same thickness...which means more specialized machines

at my schools shop we have a big thickness planer...but i agree with you and i will buy some lower grade wood and paint it

Hughes