Line 6 Pod Xt Pro

mullmuzzler

I've saved some money to buy some new stuff (it's been a long time since I've done this).. I'm interested in this Amp simulator/processor... Does anybody on this forum own this unit? I'll testdrive it in a local store when I'm back from my "earned" holiday, untill then I'd like your opinions, please. Is it worth 700$?

Thanx

mullmuzzler | OSSMT

Edited by mullmuzzler

I love mine. I wouldn't pay $700 for it, but I'm frugal. There's a guy on ebay who is an authorized Line6 shop who sells them for $599 plus shipping. I got mine new in the box from another person on ebay for $495 plus $14.50 shipping and $3.00 insurance and had no problems registering it with Line6.

It's very, very versatile, and I've spent a lot more time playing since I got it because of all the tones that are available to me. The only difference between the POD XT Pro and the regular POD XT is the interfaces and the rackmount ability. The regular POD only has the midi-in & out, USB, and 1/4" phono in/out connectors. The Pro adds XLR and digital connectors plus rackmount ability. The amps, cabs, stomboxes, effects, and ability to use amp packs are the same. If you don't need the rackmount ability and the fancy connectors, save your money and buy the regular POD XT for $299 and get some other gear.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...

I'm the only person on the board who has one of these?

Either that or the rest are to lazy :D

Ive only read reviews of this product and have heard mixed views, many say its alrite but there are better products, and some just slam it there and then saying its sim's are terrible?

~~ Slain Angel ~~

They're not perfect, but for the form factor, quality, and price, I think they're great. Sure, I'd rather have a studio full of the stuff modeled in the unit, but for less than one of the most expensive amps emulated I can own emulations of all of them. And there are a number of bands using them in their live and recording rigs who could certainly afford to buy whatever they wanted.

They're not perfect, but for the form factor, quality, and price, I think they're great.  Sure, I'd rather have a studio full of the stuff modeled in the unit, but for less than one of the most expensive amps emulated I can own emulations of all of them.  And there are a number of bands using them in their live and recording rigs who could certainly afford to buy whatever they wanted.

Ahh understand i definitly WASNT trying to start an argument, i mean afterall like mentioned before, ive never actually used one of these so i can only go on others opinions :D

~~ Slain Angel ~~

I have got the POD XT Live and it is amazing! I sold my Carvin Legacy to get it, and am glad I did! I didn't need the Legacy for my basment, it was just too loud to use it's full potential. The XT live is amazing. And if I miss my Legacy, I just tune to the Legacy patch I downloaded from the Line 6 site...I am not sure how this compares to the one you are asking about, but I love it. And it's all in pedal form, and was $399. I will never get rid of this thing. It gives me the tone I have been looking for - for years!

Ahh understand i definitly WASNT trying to start an argument, i mean afterall like mentioned before, ive never actually used one of these so i can only go on others opinions  :D

~~ Slain Angel ~~

No worries. I didn't think you were. :D They're not perfect, but not a bad investment, especially for the non Pro-units.

Yeah, but I've asked about the XT Pro (rack) version... Is it a good investment? I'll be using it live through PA with DJs on decks + other main purpose is recording in a studio. For the price of Line 6 POD XT Pro I can get Behringer V-Amp Pro (rack) and Behringer Foot Controller FC1010. I just cannot make up my mind, I mean, there are not so many differences (at least to me) between these two - metal distorsion is better on Line 6, but the in-between stuff (bluesy, hard rock-ish) is Behringer's win (I've tested them with AKG proffesional studio headphones). On the other hand, Line 6 is a newer unit... Just dunno...

mullmuzzler | OSSMT

Yeah, but I've asked about the XT Pro (rack) version... Is it a good investment? I'll be using it live through PA with DJs on decks + other main purpose is recording in a studio. For the price of Line 6 POD XT Pro I can get Behringer V-Amp Pro (rack) and Behringer Foot Controller FC1010. I just cannot make up my mind, I mean, there are not so many differences (at least to me) between these two - metal distorsion is better on Line 6, but the in-between stuff (bluesy, hard rock-ish) is Behringer's win (I've tested them with AKG proffesional studio headphones). On the other hand, Line 6 is a newer unit... Just dunno...

mullmuzzler | OSSMT

See, this is why you (figurative) should state what you want to use it for when asking about a product. You simply said "I've saved up some money. Is this worth buying?" That's not nearly as much as what I just quoted from your last post, and puts things in a completely different light. :D With your requirements, I think the Pro is definitely worth it and you won't be disappointed.

The Pro has a really awesome feature which allows you to record both a wet and dry track of a performance. Then, if you happen to like the performance but don't like the sound later, you can reroute the dry track back through the Pro and change processing until you are happy with it. So say you recorded a part where you were using the Line 6 Treadplate Amp with Line 6 4x12 cab with 57 mic off axis, and during mixdown you realize it doesn't sound as good as you thought before you had all the parts in, but you feel that the way you played was perfect. So, simply reroute the dry track back through the unit and reprocess it using a different amp/cab model, or tweak the settings of an effect until it sounds good in the mix instead of redoing the performance. I think that feature alone is worth the money if you plan to record, and I don't think the V-Amp Pro has that ability.

It goes beyond tone, and the XT Pro has some features that really make it shine if you're recording. I have also heard that the V-Amp Pro has multisecond delays when switching patches, which could be a problem. I've never substantiated that one myself, so you might want to verify before purchasing. If all you want is tone and one tone at a time with general recording features, you may be perfectly happy with the V-Amp Pro, but that's for you to decide. Good luck and have fun trying out the gear!

Remember the Alamo, and God Bles Texas...