Time for Finishing my Guitar

Hey everyone... My project which I have been working on since 1999 is coming to a close by Christmas. The other project guitars are on hold until I get this done. I've been putting it off for WAY too long and this is my personal guitar...

Here's a picture the guitar:

gabe_jem.jpg

OK, well the neck is done, but that body is no longer with me so that's what I'm working on.

Now I need some advice... this new body is rear routed so a pickguard will not be necessary. In the above picture I feel the pickguard really helped in accenting the guitar body. So without a pickguard I can choose to just go with a bound body in black, or my other choice would be a maple veneer top that has a very dark gray burst on it. How do you feel about adding body binding on such a thing? Too much? It might go well with the bound headstock.

Oh, there will be more stuff added to the new guitar body too. There will be 3 pots and 2 mini toggles for the sustainiac. Plus, I will do away with the 5-way switch and add a 3-way Les Paul style switch just below the neck pickup. The middle pickup will not be there.

I'm photoshopping something now to get a good idea what this will look like.

And oh, Brian--- how do you think a gold bobbin topper would work over a sustainiac pickup driver? Any problems?

Gold and Black = :D (yummy)

Thanks!

Gabe

• 2 weeks later...

Either way you go I would recommend inserting a plastic straw between the pickup cavitys and adding fill to the center coil if your planning on making it go away like in your mockup.

You don't really have to do the straw thing but it does make it easy to wire compaired to re-drilling down through the neck pocket :D And the fill will hold it in place.

That way the veneer cap won't be weak in that area.

Either way you go I would recommend inserting a plastic straw between the pickup cavitys and adding fill to the center coil if your planning on making it go away like in your mockup.

You don't really have to do the straw thing but it does make it easy to wire compaired to re-drilling down through the neck pocket  :D  And the fill will hold it in place.

That way the veneer cap won't be weak in that area.

Well the body isn't routed with a single coil - just 2 humbuckers. But I like your idea Brian! The switches control the Sustainiac pickup.

3rd Pot - Sustainer Drive Control

Mini-switch #1 - Sustainer On/Off

Mini-switch #2 - 3-way toggle - Sustainer mode selector

Plus you'll see I have decided to ditch the 5-way and go to the 3-way switch just under the neck pickup. I never used positions 2, 3, and 4 on my 5-way anyway. This means I never used my single coils which is true - the reason I don't have one on this guitar. It just got in the way.

Thanks for your suggestions. Anyone have a suggestion for the Abalam binding question?

• 3 weeks later...

sweet, go with a little less black and stay real close to the edges with it in the burst, really make that bookmatch show up, sadly the floyd rose trem as wonderful it is kinda hides the most in my opinon crucial area for showing off a burst, a les paul is a wonderful guitar for a bookmatched burst because of the area just behind the stop bar is the most brilliant part of the burst, sadly a strat style or ibanez with a floyd just doesnt allow for much untouched area of the burst to be shown, but thats my 2 cents, i know reather hard im sure but possible i remember fender made a ventures jazzmaster with a blackburst and the matching headstock had a matched burst, just an ideal, that would be sweet, looking forward to seeing this btw your concept picture looks awesome, best of luck to you

jeremy

ventures1996mij_2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
This has been nagging me a little since I first saw this.

Over at Warmoth they said that they can't (or maybe just won't) bind a guitar with a forearm contour.  How big of a pain in the butt is this really?

Damn good point. I don't have to worry about this because the dumb sh!t that built the body didn't countour the body. So therefore, binding will be quite easy. I CAN imagine there would be difficulty doing this. Routing that out might require a special tool or special proceedure because of the contour. Anyone?

Oh, here's another idea I had:

jem_custom_04.jpg

Gabe

Damn good point. I don't have to worry about this because the dumb sh!t that built the body didn't countour the body. So therefore, binding will be quite easy. I CAN imagine there would be difficulty doing this. Routing that out might require a special tool or special proceedure because of the contour. Anyone?

I don't know, but I've seen it before which is why the Warmoth thing surprised me.