Carved Top Question

I'm just about to embark on building a guitar based on the ESP F-Series but have come across something i'm uncertain of...i was wondering whether it'd be best to stick my maple top on before or after making the carved top - it's my first carved top and i'm not sure which way round to do it...everything i've read suggests putting it on before, but my common sense tells me to do it after because it's only thin and i may go all the way through - if this is the case, how doi make it fit to the curves when i attatch it after?

Thanks

JC

that isnt so much carved as beveled, its a flat top with big bevels, you could try steaming the top to match the contours, but i doubt that will work very well.

i would sugest puting it on, contour (you will go though the maple veneer, i asume its veneer) and cover up where the veneer joins the poplar in the finish, like a nice black burst.

I hope that was usefull, im sure some one with more experiance wil come and give you a better option.