Saga Finish

newby007

Ok any one have any experience with a saga ht-10 that can tell me how much trouble it would be to strip the sealer off of it? I picked one of these kits up for a first run before I read about the sealer. I am wondering how difficult it is to remove the sealer to get to a dyeable finish. In reading on the forums the vanier is very thin. Would it just be better to re-sell this on ebay or can it be done. Anyone with experience here would be appriciated.

On a side note ... being new to the building side of things I have found the information in these forums a HUGE help.

Thanks in advance!

Thanks for the information.  That is what I was afraid of.  Any idea on adding veneer to the top of the existing veneer?  Would it be best to just sand off the existing veneer and then adding the new?

Unless you have a vacum press it's not worth it. I would imagine a lot of bending involved. It really isnt a project for a first timer to veneering. Take a look at this thread:

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.ph...topic=15310&hl=

My first project was a Saga tele. I figured that I would rather start from scratch for the finish so I stripped off the sealer they use. I've got a full professional refinishing setup and this was the hardest stuff to get off completely and evenly, outside of 100 year old 1/2" thick paint, that I've ever hit. I wound up pretty much just soaking it for three of four days in Kleen Strip K-S-3, which eats epoxies and polurethanes for breakfast and scraping it. (It is even pretty resistant to heat guns.) Doing that would probably dissolve the glue and screw up the veneer.

One the good side, That is a damn good prep surface to work with as it comes out of the box. A little fine sanding and you're ready to coat. Saves you the most, in my opinion, problematic part of the process. Sealing and filling. Stuff's hard as a bowling ball but will accept most coatings.

Spray it with a tinted clear and be happy.

I'm sure that you could get the sealer off, but what I've seen of the grade of maple veneer that Saga uses you're just not going to get the results that you see posted on this site no matter what you do to it.

You can get a perfectly repectable finish with the stuff from Re-Ranch. What do you want for $150?

Doc, I agree. After I painted my saga ht 10 I stripped the paint off, hoping to get off the sealer and use the veneer. The veneer soaked up the sealer in so many spots the stripper wouldnt get it off. That's why I pulled the veneer off and am doing a solid color.

Stains dont take well to spotty sealers :D

Edited by AlGeeEater

Thanks for the information.  That is what I was afraid of.  Any idea on adding veneer to the top of the existing veneer?  Would it be best to just sand off the existing veneer and then adding the new?

Unless you have a vacum press it's not worth it. I would imagine a lot of bending involved. It really isnt a project for a first timer to veneering. Take a look at this thread:

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.ph...topic=15310&hl=

Thanks alot for this information. I was looking to do a blue die to black that I saw on a Moore guitar. I guess I will do it with the can instead of dye.

Thanks again.

you can still do it, but with transucent painst like I mentioned on top. Go to http://www.lgmguitars.com/splash_guitars.html he paint all his jobs, no stain there, so it is quite possible to do. The only problem is that I find that stains bring a lot more depth to the maple... but in Jeremys guitar there are no flaws visible so it is quite a good choice

you can still do it, but with transucent painst like I mentioned on top.  Go to http://www.lgmguitars.com/splash_guitars.html he paint all his jobs, no stain there, so it is quite possible to do.  The only problem is that I find that stains bring a lot more depth to the maple... but in Jeremys guitar there are no flaws visible so it is quite a good choice

Thanks for the info maiden! I will probably use the translucent blue. On another thread you have a translucent blue faded to black. What solid black paint did you use?

On this saga if I use the black sloset epoxy do you figure it will look pretty good with the blue metalcast?

On which one? if it is this one

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.ph...ndpost&p=155601

It is translucent blue all the way, yes a few more coats on the edges. All the other blue ones that are on my threads are stained.

That is exactly the one I was talking about. I have a friend who was saying the the polyurathane can kill some of the sound from the guitar. Any truth to that? With all the hardware I am putting on this thing (replacing all of the gear with good stuff) I don't want to kill the sound because of the clear coat.