Fender 57

duo2

I was hoping that some of you guys on here might be able to help me. I'm trying to find out how much my bass is worth. I looked for an appraisal site on the internet but the ones I found all cost money. I have a Fender 57 re-issue precision bass and everything is completely original. The bass is in pretty much brand new condition except for a few barely noticible scratches on the back from a belt buckle and one chip in the paint where the neck meets the body. The stamp on the heel of the neck says it was made in 88. I just bought a new Fender American deluxe jazz bass v with a quilt maple top and I don't really need the precision anymore. So I'm trying to figure out if it's worth it to sell it now or if I wait a couple more years will the value rise enough of an amount to hold onto it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

It Blue Books at just over $1000 in 98% (near mint) and $900 at 95% (excellent). Nothing is near mint or mint since anyone can look over a guitar or bass long enough to find something to save a few bucks :D

Higher end Fender stuff mostly does not depreciate over time and some of it appreciates rather well depending on what it is. This one seems to have held its value pretty well for the past 17 years. I'm guessing you probably paid around $1200-1300 for it new (?).............

Actual price you get is really dependent on the market. Summertime is not really a good time to sell unless you have a buyer that is itching for the model you have. Remember that Blue Book is NOT what a dealer will give you. You can expect about half of that from a dealer or you can consign it at a dealer for a cost of 20-25% of sale price back to them.

I actually bought it used from the original owner for $600 about 5 years ago. He said he paid about $1300 for it new. And it has held its condition amazingly well and it still plays like a dream. I just adjusted the action and the intonation yesterday seeing as it hasn't been out of the case in about 6 months and now it plays better than it ever has before. Thanks for the quick responses. Any other help would be great.

Edited by duo2